All posts related to V2
Hi,

This is something that has never occurred before, so I am really scratching my head here.
Please see attached image. The interactive Fire and Maxwell Render shows the same image regarding color/hue, but the saved image is different.
And it is the same if I save it as png, exr, bmp etc..

Regards,
Tor M

I guess it's the same like with any other render engine / 3d programm ... the picture ist shown with a applied colourprofile (adobe rgb or srgb f.e.) but saved without it. you need to apply a profile afterwards in photohop f.e.

the pictures always have that slight grey looking layer above them without a profile.

cheers
I guess the screen calibration is what have changed since last time I rendered with Maxwell.

I went into Ps and changed the color profile to the calibrated screen profile. But what is really happing here?

I see the picture in Maxwell through the "Screen profile", and when it is saved to disk - I see the "true" sRGB profile?

Thanks for all comments!
there was a big discussion in the past about this. If you want the image in photoshop to look exactly the same as it does in the maxwell render window (if i remember correctly) you need to apply the profile of your monitor as the color profile of your image in photoshop, as you mentioned. This is the most incorrect way possible of working but it's the only way to get the image to look the same in photoshop as it does in maxwell render.

It's been a long time since we discussed this on here, but if I remember correctly, the maxwell render window is not color managed so it is basically using your monitors profile when displaying in the maxwell render window but the saved image is using whatever profile you have set in maxwell's render settings, which is sRGB by default. That may not be exactly correct but off the top of my head that is what i remember and makes logical sense as to why this is happening. I'll see if I can find the specifics from the old thread regarding this.

edit: here is the thread link to read through: http://maxwellrender.com/forum/viewtopi ... s&start=60
Last edited by itsallgoode9 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you for your reply.

I think I figured out a way to work with the profile in a nondestructive way.
I could use Proof colors in photoshop to "see" the image through my monitor RGB.
It would be crazy to bake my monitor RGB into the pictures color profile, then I would been on thin ice.

Cheers,
Tor M

Kevron wrote:Thank you for your reply.

I think I figured out a way to work with the profile in a nondestructive way.
I could use Proof colors in photoshop to "see" the image through my monitor RGB.
It would be crazy to bake my monitor RGB into the pictures color profile, then I would been on thin ice.

Cheers,
Tor M
I completely agree that baking your monitor profile is not a good idea but that's the only way to really make your photoshop image look like the render window.

Looking at the method you've shown, I feel like that won't really fix the issue? You're soft proofing by doing this, which is a "simulated" way of viewing the image. If you view your image on a different monitor it will look completely different if they don't have soft proofing turned on and the monitor would have to be calibrated completely the same as yours. This method is kinda like saying "this render is a bit too dark so i'll raise the brightness on the monitor" Also, If these images are going to be printed, this brings up a whole new set of issues too, doesn't it?

Reading through that old thread really got me frustrated all over again about this issue because it seems nothing has changed:(
Yes I know it is frustrating. We use spyder for calibrating the screens, but still there are variations between all the screens in our facility.
So in the end, I just have to trust that my screen is calibrated enough to read a sRGB 2.1 profile as correct at possible.

Cheers,
Tor M
itsallgoode9 wrote:Reading through that old thread really got me frustrated all over again about this issue because it seems nothing has changed:(
That was the thread that was...

In any case: if your own workflow is colour managed for print, you can enjoy your pint; if your images are viewed on the internet with all kinds of displays or projectors, jus' fugeddaboutit ; )
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]