By Rafal SLEK
Is there any way to use displacement materials on ArchiCAD elements? As I understand subdivision is crucial here but Archicad elements are mostly simple surfaces (triangles).
By joaomourao
I use displacement with AC objects, but mainly morph ones that you can subdivide inside AC which will help you a lot. The subdivision in the material is very time consuming so I use it wisely and try to have a lower vale as possible... The adaptive checkbox is dangerous and if you have complex map for the displacement, voxelization will last forever :(
Cheers!
By Rafal SLEK
Could you show some example?
Morph is not the solution as most of AC elements in 3D are as simple as could be. Converting elements to Morphs will ruin ArchiCAD BIM model.
By joaomourao
Just for a quick example, I used mxm "rocks" by Christian982 which has a nice displacement map for it.
Modeled a 10x10m simple slab (left), a morph of the same size subdivided in 16 in both sides (top), an array os slabs 16x16 (right) and a mesh subdivided like the morph (bottom)...
As you can see you don't need to subdivide them a lot with real geometry just use with caution the subdivision on the material. Here I raised it for 128 with 10cm height... This was a really fast render... less than a minute!
The single slab won't work as you can see here, nor the several slabs side by side... Morph and Mesh is the solution, you just need to play with then. Both of then can have a single plan which is nice in some displacements (like this one) :)
Cheers!
By Rafal SLEK
Thx a lot. Seems that I am completely blind - my mistake was that I try to find subdivisions in ArchiCAD geometry, not in Maxwell Material parameter (I used default).
Anyway - your example help me very much.
One problem I still see is edges display. For elements with displacement material added there are some black faces.
By Rafal SLEK
Simple slab 1x1x1m with same rock material. Faces are OK (I know how to change subdivision now :-) ) but edges are out of control.
By joaomourao
Well just try the offset in the material, but remember that it is difficult to relate planes at totally different angles. Offset will minimize these effects but won't be perfect... There is also the pretessellated type that can help you, play with these settings in studio. Normally I avoid edges on objects and always try to round them (morph) or use planes (bended or not) single sided. Just as a note I only do this with objects that really need displacement!
Cheers!
By Rafal SLEK
Thx once more - it more clear for me now and it works :-)
Now I could choose to make 3D gravel or material with displacement 8)
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]