By novena
Hi there!
I just registered to the competition, I'm a bit late but will try to finish on time. Tomorrow will come back with some content about inspiration, references and the main visión of my idea...
For now I just advance that my subject is Fallingwater or Kauffmann residence, ironically I did choose Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece for being widely acclaimed for its sublime integration with its natural context... good luck to all participants
Victor
Hello novena,

The subject you are choosing is beautiful. I'm sure you will end up with something intersting.

We'll keep track to the evolution of your project.

Good luck!

Dario Lanza
By novena
supertall or megatall?
few weeks ago I read a note about how the city of Gothenburg applaud the proposal of a new skyscraper to be highest in Scandinavia (11 meter higher than Turning Torso).

do we really need these worldwide competitions to build higher, bigger, better, faster?
giant walkie-talkies melting cars, buildings which final cost doubles its initial estimated cost, buildings that claim to be the tallest with high ratios of non-occupiable space, giant observation wheels, etc.
all these visions came to my mind and made me imagine a world covered on concrete, and buildings of greenery trying to arise from its arid surface.

Ironically I did choose as my subject Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece 'Fallingwater' for its sublime integration with its natural context.
My vision is to convert Fallingwater on a greenery, substituting the horizontal 'man-made' cantilevered elements with vegetation: ivy or climbers, and keep the vertical stone walls as they are. The natural context will turn it made of concrete, broken after an earthquake, an apocalyptic scenario.
As starting point I downloaded a basic 3D model of Fallingwater from 3D warehouse. Im working now with the modelling.
V

http://www.arkitektur.se/senaste-nytt/g ... rar-skrapa

http://www.archdaily.com/425730/vanity- ... ble-space/

http://www.archdaily.com/423560/reflect ... cars-melt/

http://www.archdaily.com/424526/unstudi ... -in-japan/
Last edited by novena on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By novena
hi there,
downloaded a very basic and simple 3D model of Fallingwater from 3D warehouse, the model looks like this:

next step was to grab the topography from google earth, and locate the model of the house on the terrain:

and a very first test of the geometry with a clay render:

now I have to start by reorganizing all geometry and add details
V
Last edited by novena on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By novena
thanks Dario!!!
I have been busy with some other stuff... concerning to my image: I have been redoing the whole house and adding details to the 3D model I downloaded from 3DWH, there is still some work to do before I start working with the environment of my scene.
In the meanwhile I started some lighting tests, here come some of them, Image based...
best
V

Last edited by novena on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By novena
I was testing the new geometry of the terrain and trying a different mood, this image made me think about a desertic environment, like taking Fallingwater to Taliesin West... in case I dont succeed with the destructed environment I would try to grow some saguaro cactuses, ocotillo trees and why not? some peyote...

By novena
hi there,
plan B is on march, found some nice saguaro cactuses to download from blendswap, I did grow my own ocotillo trees and creosote bushes (chaparral or guamis) in Arbaro...
Just as background, 10 years after Edgar Kaufmann hired Wright to design Falling Water, same Kaufmann hired Richard Neutra to design a new house in the west coast: Kaufmann Desert House

my ocotillo tree parameters in Arbaro

a preview of the image with a more dramatic mood

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]