By Mitsurugi
Hi guys!

I have been flirting with the idea of entering this competition since it was announced and now I have decided to join in. I will be "outplacing" Villa Savoye by Le Corbusier.

Good luck to all the other participants,
Mirče
By Mitsurugi
Hi all, here is a little update about my progress:

I managed to find a fairly decent dwg file of the plans of Villa Savoye at http://www.architic.com/villa-savoye-dwg-dxf/ and used it for making changes to this model I found from the Warehouse (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0).

I gathered some material to help me detail the model a little easier

The window parts needed fixing the most, the interier does not matter that much for my entry, as I am doing an exterior shot.

The model is finished and rotated to the view I will be doing.

Now, about my idea.

The villa is representative of the bases of modern architecture, and is one of the most easily recognizable examples of the International style. But I started wondering, what would happen if this purist architectural symbol got inhabited by a certain type of people. People with $,€,¥, but without proper education, to appreciate architecture and art in general. An instant rich kind of fella, who needs to express his individuality through his refined style.

I call the project "New Money Savoye".

I would imagine, that the first thing the new owner would do is to repaint the house. After all, white is boring, right? After the painting was done, he would continue to enhance the house with his decorations, and make it better, where he thought it is necessary.

So for now, the model looks like this:

I shall be back soon with a render or two.
By Mitsurugi
haha, thanks, I will try to make it as tastefully disgusting as possible:)

Don't worry Mihai, it can get downgraded a bit more with a few additions I have in plan, and jojojoj- some wooden elements would suite it nice too:)
By AstroMan287
Like the idea alot! :)

Now if it was to set at dusk or later you could always festoon it with brightly lit christmas lights with an illuminated reindeer in the garden and a 3m high internally illuminated inflatable snowman next to the house....
A figment of my warped imagination perhaps...alas no. I have seen just a sight in the UK two years ago! Horrendous truly horrendous. :shock:

Look forward to seeing the first renders!

Good luck!
By Mitsurugi
Hey Astroman, thanks for the comment:) Sounds like a cool idea and in a way, I was playing with a similar one, but then decided to make it a day shot. Sorry it took me so long to get back, but I was writing a longer post about my progress and concept and had my reply to you there.

But seeing this premature closing of the submission form, which I really hope is a mistake, I will post the thing when the final rendering completes and hoping the Maxwell team accepts it. I had the deadline in mind all the time when planning the rendering time, and I really hope this gets sorted out :)
By Mitsurugi
This is the post I mentioned above.

It was really funny explaining to my friends what I am doing. Almost every one of them had a suggestion of their own about how to enhance it and some of those were quite useful. As an architecture student I have to say that doing this project felt very therapeutic and I had a lot of fun:)

So, beside those suggestions, I found some more nice references on the web:

I then made a selection and did these modifications to the model:

I decided to go with yellow for the facade, to make it a "happier" house;) I used a stucco texture and give it a little bump, painted the interior orange and added some curtains and chandeleirs. Also some other changes you can notice in the picture that I do not know the english word for.

I planted an indoor palm, because they are the latest fashion. Also to help me with composition.

Some balustrades, and a little balcony to relax at. Gold plated parts of columns show the owner has class.

The entrance to the estate is guarded by wildcats, showing the owner likes wildcats. As he cannot own one, he bought a dog and made him a doghouse.

Some details of the entrance.

A friendly garden gnome and some wines going upwards.

A satellite dish and some wall lamps.

And of course, a tower for the daughter, the princess.

So this is the final composition. I added some detail to the ground to make it not so flat, and used three different grass groups, because other wise sketchup crashed frequently due to its ram limitations. The further the group, the smaller the density of the blades. The trees are mainly 2d except for a few in the foreground.

I will post the final render with the wireframe picture in the next post in a minute or so, hoping the guys at Maxwell will accept it this way, because of this submission situation.
By Mitsurugi
So, this is my final wireframe:

And this is the final render:

For some reason the site i upload the renders at converts the pngs to jpgs, so Gisele, I hope you dont mind, but I have to send you an email :)
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]