Everything related to http://resources.maxwellrender.com
Dear all

I've been following the work of David Brinnen, and in one of his renders there's a material which I'd like to reproduce, but I'm struggling. I think it's some kind of SSS or rough glass. I've asked David but no response yet. I'm hoping that some of the more experienced material experts on here can point me in the right direction.

Before I show you this material, please don't moan that it's not rendered in Maxwell. The material in question is the orange cube on the right (not the ribbon):

Image copyright David Brinnen 2013

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

James
By bograt
Hi James, I'm pretty sure that's not sss. Looks more like a translucent material with semi-diffuse refraction which may be difficult to recreate in Maxwell, It looks almost hollow so thin sss might be worth a try.
Hello James,

I've recreated a material following the render you submitted as a reference.

I made it using SSS. I think it is pretty close to the original reference. It will be easy to tweak.

Just tweak the Attenuation Distance and SSS_Coef according to your object thickness.

And of course, tweak the Transmittance color to match your needs.

Being that dense translucent material, it can be an expensive render.

Attached I'm sending you the MXM material itself and a sample test render.

I hope it is close to your needs.

Enjoy!

Dario Lanza
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks Dario! And thanks for your e-mail, I hope the reply got back to you OK.
dariolanza wrote:Hello James,

I've recreated a material following the render you submitted as a reference.

I made it using SSS. I think it is pretty close to the original reference. It will be easy to tweak.

Just tweak the Attenuation Distance and SSS_Coef according to your object thickness.

And of course, tweak the Transmittance color to match your needs.

Being that dense translucent material, it can be an expensive render.

Attached I'm sending you the MXM material itself and a sample test render.

I hope it is close to your needs.

Enjoy!

Dario Lanza
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]