All posts related to V2
By Ernesto
Hello again,

I have a material downloaded from the Maxwell Material Resources. It is made in a single layer, with several BSDF´s
Each of them is being handled by a Texture, and each of them has a diferent weight value. Some use a weight value of 100 some 25 and so.
The problem I find at this point, after investing several days trying to adjust it, is that changing all these weight value seems not to produce any effect. My preliminary conclusion is that it is not working.

If that is the way it was intended to work, the Weight box should show in gray colour, and it should be blocked so that it is clear for the user that it has no function, saving valuable time. Otherwise if this weight value is a modifier of the intensity of the texture, as it does the Brightness slider inside the projection properties window, it should affect it.

The way it is right now works as a "trap" for the unaware user.
These basic bugs in Maxwell are surely affecting drastically the productivity and efficiency of many users, and will go on affecting future users too.
In my opinion things like these are not acceptable in a software which is not a beta, and the developping team should solve these problems before adding new commands or features, or releasing new versions.
It is about (in my opinion) being respectfull for the users, and I take them as innecesary obstacles, due to any or several of the following:

1) A lack or failure of beta testers.
2) A lack of professionalism in the developping team.
3) A lack of interest in customers.
4) A deficient organization or a disorganized way of working.

I wonder which of these is the cause... or perhaps there is another understandable reason that I couldn´t imagine, and that would be good to know, so that if there is good will from NL part we could undertand!

At this stage after so many years of software development, there is a serious debt to clients and users, that deserves an answer and a solution, instead of the absolute silence and lack of consideration towards us, that has been the attitude of NL until today.
I know this words are hard, but they are motivated mainly by the total absence of explanations from NL.
I still think Maxwell is one of the BEST if not the BEST rendering engine, but the problem is in the interface design.
I would appreciate if NL could listen to these critics, and could understand that they are not intended to disturb, but to strongly call the atention, because a politic change is needed urgently.
Sincerely

Ernesto
By JDHill
The weight spinner is not disabled when using a weight texture, because it still controls blending in the usual way, for areas lying outside the mapped region, in the case that the texture is not tiled.
By Hervé
Ernesto... really after all this time you use Maxwell, you still don't understand how that works..? amazing.. :shock:
By NicoR44
Clearly Ernesto doesn't get it anymore, could you do everyone a favour Ernesto and retire, I think it's about time you did....
By zdeno
NicoR44 wrote:Clearly Ernesto doesn't get it anymore, could you do everyone a favour Ernesto and retire, I think it's about time you did....
Hervé wrote:Ernesto... really after all this time you use Maxwell, you still don't understand how that works..? amazing.. :shock:
+1 ... and still no pictures to show problems ;)
By eric nixon
The weight spinner is not disabled when using a weight texture, because it still controls blending in the usual way, for areas lying outside the mapped region, in the case that the texture is not tiled.
Dear NL, Is it possible to program the greying out so that it does get greyed out (unless either x or y tiling is turned off) because this would be VERY helpful to everyone who is new to maxwell. At some point all users notice how its really working (conter-intuitively and opposite to the UI's indication) but that may take some time, a disconcerting experience durig a period of confusion/learning.. (sorry to state the obvious) and also it remains disconcerting for any user, but we just get used to it.

Thanks, just saying.... please program this small thing.. please!
By jc4d
I´ll try to not get s** on my neck but here I go :lol:

The materials that were made on V1 are not translated to V2 100% correctly (long long topics about this when V2 came out) and I noticed that rough sea is a material made on V1 so you need/have to modify it.
If you want to control the Weight of each bsdf put each on in it´s own layer and use the opacity/mask slot to put the correct texture there s, in this way you can control each one separated.

BTW. On Cinema plugin the weight control is greyed out when a texture is loaded.
Just remember that every single software has bugs, no one is save from those and/or small mistakes.

En español:
Los materiales que fueron creados con la V1 no se traducen 100% correctos cuando los abres en la V2 (largas conversaciones sobre esto cuando salió la V2), te lo digo ya que noté que el material rough sea fué creado en la V1 así que tienes que modificarlo un poco para obtener un buen resultado.
Si quieres controlar cada bsdf por separado, tienes que poner cada uno en un layer y su respectiva textura en el opacity/mask, de esta forma puedes controlar cada uno sin problemas.

Por cierto, en el plugin para Cinema el weight se pone en gris cuando se usa una textura.
Recuerda que todos, absoulamente todos los programas tienen bugs y ninguno se salva de tener bugs o pequeños errores.

Saludos
JC
By JDHill
jc4d wrote:BTW. On Cinema plugin the weight control is greyed out when a texture is loaded.
Thanks -- nice catch.
By JDHill
eric nixon wrote:Dear NL, Is it possible to program the greying out so that it does get greyed out (unless either x or y tiling is turned off) because this would be VERY helpful to everyone who is new to maxwell. At some point all users notice how its really working (conter-intuitively and opposite to the UI's indication) but that may take some time, a disconcerting experience durig a period of confusion/learning.. (sorry to state the obvious) and also it remains disconcerting for any user, but we just get used to it.

Thanks, just saying.... please program this small thing.. please!
I can't agree with this suggestion -- it is one thing for the reason for its remaining enabled to be somewhat obscure, since at worst, it looks like the coder simply forgot to disable the control (that would have to be the most logical conclusion, given that many other controls are enabled/disabled based on state). On the other hand, I think that selectively disabling it based on the state of options inside a totally different dialog would tend to look downright buggy -- unless you knew the behavior was linked to the tiling options beforehand, it would just appear that for some unknown reason, it is disabled for some BSDFs, and enabled for others.
By acrighton
Ernesto,

You need to take a serious look at your choice of words when posting. Unsure if you mean it or not, but they come across as very rude & disrespectful. If you are as unsatisfied as your posts suggest, then perhaps a change of software may be the most appropriate thing?
By eric nixon
I can't agree with this suggestion -- it is one thing for the reason for its remaining enabled to be somewhat obscure, since at worst, it looks like the coder simply forgot to disable the control (that would have to be the most logical conclusion, given that many other controls are enabled/disabled based on state). On the other hand, I think that selectively disabling it based on the state of options inside a totally different dialog would tend to look downright buggy -- unless you knew the behavior was linked to the tiling options beforehand, it would just appear that for some unknown reason, it is disabled for some BSDFs, and enabled for others.
Yes, but I considered that to be a lesser evil, because disabling tiling is a fairly advanced thing to do, I mean the default is tiled, and 99% of the time I leave maps tiled.

It only needs to be changed in mxed,mxst, not plugins if its tricky, I think most people use MXED.

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]