All posts related to V2
By Ernesto
I can see that the Bump (Normal) slider could go from 0 to 2000.
Nevertheless the Bump effect seems to get to the maximum intensity at 100, then decreasing up to 2000.
I wonder if this is working ok?

E
By tom
Don't worry, it's working OK. The range is wide because it depends on texture contrast and frequency (tiling). In the end, it's a normals shading effect so when you need more bump, displacement is better.
By Ernesto
So, in case of simple bump maps (not normal) the effect get to the maximum intensity at 100, then decreasing up to 2000?
Or I need better glases?

E
By Fernando Tella
I'm not seeing that here.

Could it be that you have textures in global bump and BSDF bump? Having textures on both slots at the same time is not working well for me and has an effect of, somehow, neutralizing the bump.
By Ernesto
Fernando Tella wrote:I'm not seeing that here.

Could it be that you have textures in global bump and BSDF bump? Having textures on both slots at the same time is not working well for me and has an effect of, somehow, neutralizing the bump.

Hummm, I will look at it again. I will check it! I am sure I am having something wrong with my material...
(a few moments later) Yes, that was the key!
I was not aware I was having two bumps... It seems that the two bumps get in "resonance" and unexpected results appear...

Now I wonder why we would need those two bumps settings...?

E
By tom
Ernesto wrote:Now I wonder why we would need those two bumps settings...?
For example you may have a brick bump in BSDF and additionally a noise bump in the Global slot affecting the whole composition. Useful, isn't it?
By Ernesto
tom wrote:
Ernesto wrote:Now I wonder why we would need those two bumps settings...?
For example you may have a brick bump in BSDF and additionally a noise bump in the Global slot affecting the whole composition. Useful, isn't it?
Yes indeed! Anyway I was doing this creating another layer to have the two bump settings, but this forced me to duplicate other settings...
Definitely a global Bump is better here.
Thanks Tom.

Ernesto
By choo-chee
in the maya plugin there's a bug with bump when using the wizard, instead of -100 to 100 it gives 0 to 200 ....
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]