All posts related to V2
By kami
Hello

Does anybody think it would be possible to create a furry carpet like that with the maxwell grass?

I think I would have started to create a map for the direction of the hairs?

Or are there faster ways to do it? I guess displacement would not be the best choice here?

(as I am using the Rhino Plugin there is no Hair support sadly, but from my understanding grass isn't that different?)

Thanks,
Kami
By polynurb
grass should work

if you want to get the look of your reference you have to dig deeper into this:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/maxwelldocs/Grass

and check the initial angle map.
you need this one to be good in order to get something realistic. a bit of a challange these color maps.. i can tell :)

Displacement is not a good choice for the fluff, but maybe for the "base plane" of the carpet, so you don't have a perfectly flat plane eventually visible behind the "grass"

what is not possible, afaik, is making the grass wider towards the tip; i believe this is a limitation right now.. grass or hair.. or both,. not sure..
By Fernando Tella
polynurb wrote:what is not possible, afaik, is making the grass wider towards the tip; i believe this is a limitation right now.. grass or hair.. or both,. not sure..
I think you can do that by making grass longer and cut it with "cut off" parameter.
By polynurb
*edit

i just checked, there are two parameters for the grass width,root and tip.
do you mean that it only renders ok if the top is clipped?
By polynurb
ok.. forget what i posted about the width before.

with grass the thing is :

flat & curve will work with wider tip than root

cylinder will not work

for a rug you would want cylinder, if performance allows, so atm i guess you have to trade a straight cylinder vs a better shaped plane
By polynurb
Hi Fernando,

what i mean is, try : eg. root 5mm tip 6mm

if the tip is wider it wont render here.
By choo-chee
I made some rugs with maxwell grass.
you can always map to types of grass to the same plane to get more diverse hairs...
By kami
ah thanks. that is a nice tip! and thanks for all the other hints too.
I think I was able to get a good carpet. It is not exactly the reference but it looks good for my case (not extremely in the foreground). I'll post some images the next days ...
By Mihai
Looks ok, but does each "hair" thin out towards the tip? Because in the real one it doesn't. Also looks like they could be a little bit thicker, and more of them. Adding a nice normal map of strings along the length will also increase realism a lot I think.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]