All posts related to V2
By adamwade
Hey guys,

I can't seam to locate any info on fire flames. Particularly the 3D model setup and construction. The MXM I can download.

I know this was a topic many years ago, but can someone point out the thread.

Thanks,

Adam
By JDHill
I found an old thread, but it was from 2006, and fairly meaningless due to missing images. Personally, I always just use simple planes with clip-mapped MXI emitters for those. Not sure exactly what you're after, though, do you have a reference?
By adamwade
Thanks JD,

Yes, I found the same thread with missing pictures.

Specifically, I need to make a stove burner which sounds much more difficult than a candle flame since it's very dimensional.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Adam
By JDHill
Yes, that's a bit trickier, especially depending on the camera's proximity. Not sure which host application you're using, but in some, I might still use single planes (one per flame), hooked up to always face the camera. If that's not an option, and it is too cumbersome to manually rotate them to suit each shot, I might try using two or three planes per flame, each rotated 90° or 60° from the last as viewed from above, but as I say, it depends on whether the camera will be too close for that to be believable.
By eric nixon
Cool, liking the burner objects concept. Thanks for making this useful diagram.

I have made volume flames before using a special spinning shape and MB, but its a fiddly business getting the look right. Used it to get a jet thruster look.
By rusteberg
eric nixon wrote:I have made volume flames before using a special spinning shape and MB, but its a fiddly business getting the look right. Used it to get a jet thruster look.
hadn't thought of that.... depends what type of flame you are going after i guess.... i made that from a quick google search..... i have an old mid 60's Coleman stove (425c model) that I use when we go camping and it throws a completely different flame from a hex/honeycomb vent. even the stove in the house throws more "burner" on high and collects to more "volume" when on low since it vents from beneath a cap......... depends on the type of vent/burner/stove i guess....

greater question is how do you animate something like that with maxwell.......?
By polynurb
rusteberg wrote: greater question is how do you animate something like that with maxwell.......?
i think with particles it should be possible;
maybe you don't even need special fields of influence, just the right heat/fuel and initial direction/speed and a realistic particle death.

saying that i actually never tried to render particles with maxwell yet :)
By eric nixon
greater question is how do you animate something like that with maxwell.......?
Well these thrusters are animated!
They are spinning and scaling in-out at twice the frame rate, with the length of scaling and speed of rotation, adjusted by the car throttle ;), but it was mind bending kind of workaround getting it to work, the maps also scale and rotate with related frequency... you can see its really hard to describe, was an 'exploratory afternoon' kind of process getting the look right.. bear in mind the geo needs to be lowpoly to render quickly and always clip mapped to get a nice fade.
And also consider that the emitter animations craziness / fine detail in flame emitter can slow down the render, its too much detail for the motion blur effect to work efficiently....

Image Image
By adamwade
Thanks JD,

It will be for only one or two views, so rotating planes for each is no big deal. I'm using Solidworks and Rhino, so there are some limitations. Worst case is a photo overlay, but I want to give it a try. We'll see if we get the project.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]