All posts related to V2
By choo-chee
I'm using materials from MXM library and the wizard but fabrics, no matter how I make my model accurate, don't look "soft" enough.
I guess they need SSS to simulate real life.
But all my tests with SSS give me unrealistic results, I just seem to misunderstand the way it works. anyone can help me? thanx !
By choo-chee
ok let me re-phrase that:
How about adding more presets to the wizards? like SSS for skin, cloth, etc. ?
It's most annoying to try and develop materials without having to learn all sort of physics...
By choo-chee
thanx however I've already been there, those are your "typical" single layered SSS while I'm looking for something that is not liquid etc. but fabric.
I just can't get to the result that will look like something really soft and translucent - while it's still some sort of a solid...
By Mihai
The effect is probably also due to large amounts of tiny fibers on the surface. Have you also tried using the r2 parameter? This will mimic pretty well this soft sheen on fabrics.

Don't think in terms of liquid vs fabric, vs solid etc. It doesn't matter. Marble can be more translucent than certain fabrics, or liquids...what you probably want is mixing a sufficiently dense SSS with a regular layer, maybe that gets you closer.
By bograt
choo-chee wrote:ok let me re-phrase that:
Maxwell does not support multi-layered SSS so making a preset for skin could be misleading. As for fabric it very much depends what type of fabric you are talking about...
Some fabrics like nylon have almost no scattering, cotton has a bit (single-sided SSS might be best for that) and fleece has considerably more, either way it is hugely dependent on the model you are applying the material to.
What kind of fabric are you trying create?
By rusteberg
that's a question for Mr. Tibby, head beefeater at the tower.

Mr. Tibby, what are your thoughts? Can you give Mr. Chochee any insight on how you maintain that immaculate beef eating bib of yours?

By choo-chee
bograt wrote:
choo-chee wrote:ok let me re-phrase that:
Maxwell does not support multi-layered SSS so making a preset for skin could be misleading. As for fabric it very much depends what type of fabric you are talking about...
Some fabrics like nylon have almost no scattering, cotton has a bit (single-sided SSS might be best for that) and fleece has considerably more, either way it is hugely dependent on the model you are applying the material to.
What kind of fabric are you trying create?
I need to create convincing upholstered sofas. the velvet preset looks completely wrong. I've checked photos and it looks like cloth ahs some SSS.
By rusteberg
Classic.

The correct approach to solving your problem would be something like this:
Mr. Chinky Chanky wrote:Hi, I'm trying to create sheer drapery for a project starting off from one of the wizard presets. Here is where I am at:

It still doesn't look and feel as soft as I had intended for it to look and I am not convinced the material is there yet.
Here is the effect I am after:

Or more specific to your dilemma, something like this:
Mr. Jobobo Smithsonian wrote:Hi, I'm trying to create a convincing fabric sofa using the built in mxm velvet preset. It looks a little off from what I am trying to achieve. Here is where I am at:

After testing various materials for the sofa, I'm still not convinced it looks right based on some of the reference images I have found. This is the material I am trying to mimic from one of the reference images:

By Mihai
I don't see how you can expect to get a good fabric material, without a good fabric texture first of all, at high resolution, with a good normal map/bump map. No preset can help there. Do you have some examples to show? Would be easier to give you some guidance this way. Show what you want / what you have so far and the textures you are using.
By Half Life
Mihai wrote:I don't see how you can expect to get a good fabric material, without a good fabric texture first of all, at high resolution, with a good normal map/bump map.
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... =2&t=34622 (I made this request coming up on 3 years ago)

and more specifically:

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=9149 (which is a implementation, similar to what I asked for, in a competing engine)

I only "play" with fabrics currently (meaning painting in the broadest possible strokes) because I know they will never be "right" until the Maxwell material options mature... in much that same way all of the poor attempts at displacement based grass stopped being relevant once we got Maxwell Grass for real.

Best,
Jason.
By rusteberg
Half Life wrote:
Mihai wrote:I don't see how you can expect to get a good fabric material, without a good fabric texture first of all, at high resolution, with a good normal map/bump map.
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... =2&t=34622 (I made this request coming up on 3 years ago)

and more specifically:

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=9149 (which is a implementation, similar to what I asked for, in a competing engine)

I only "play" with fabrics currently (meaning painting in the broadest possible strokes) because I know they will never be "right" until the Maxwell material options mature... in much that same way all of the poor attempts at displacement based grass stopped being relevant once we got Maxwell Grass for real.

Best,
Mr. Potatoe
Oh, darling how I've missed you.....

xoxo
By choo-chee
jason - that's that !!!!
p.s. - mihai - of course I have very good cloth textures. but it's not enough. the fabric remains "stiff" ...
I think that maxwell materials are great in their approach of real life but that's sometimes the problem - how can I mimic real life without having enough knowledge...?
that's why we need perfect stuff in the default library !
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]