All posts related to V2
By bograt
Hello all,
I have had a look at the example page and tutorial video but I could not really determine what level of control you can ultimately gain.
I would be really interested to see something created, or edited with python. Anyone got anything?

Jules
By Half Life
Almost all of the free Arroway MXM sets were created using pyMaxwell and speadsheets -- the scripts used were supposed to be used as example files at some point... I can post them if you want to look them over.

It's definitely a very useful tool for scripting, and while I can read and edit python pretty well, I have alot to learn before I can claim to have mastered it.

Best,
Jason.
Hi Jules

I don't have anything I'm ready to share but I've been playing around with python in general for the past few months and have created an application using python and Maxwell that helps my slightly niche workflow.

The user selects one or more Lightwave scene files, jpegs and mxs references as an input. Depending on the options selected the script then creates a Maxwell scene for every Lightwave camera it finds. In each of these scenes, as well as a correctly positioned camera, it also creates an mxs reference for each reference selected. If any of the camera names are found within the jpeg photo filenames then it automatically sets the exposure, aperture, shift, frame size etc in the Maxwell scene as well as changing the Maxwell environment to the correct time of day and date.

Here's an image I created to show a few people what the script does:

This is something I occasionally would spend a day or two doing for a large arch viz project with lots of views, but can now create a draft setup for the whole project in a few minutes.

As another example of maxwell scripting potential, for a project a colleague is working on we're considering using maxwell generated hdri's to light an animation that's being rendered in another application. This might sound crazy but for now it seems to be solving a few problems and working quite well. Anyhow if we decide we need to save out say 100 - 300 hdri's, one for each frame/time of day, we'll definitely script this process rather than doing it manually.

Both these scripts are tailored for a very specific workflow and wouldn't be very useful to most Maxwell users, however they do show some possible uses. I'm hoping that one day scripting is integrated into Maxwell studio, as this would open up a whole world of scripts that could be really useful to the everyday user. Until that happens I think scripting for Maxwell will be limited to project/niche-workflow specific uses. Of course if anyone thinks differently and knows of any Maxwell scripts that can help us all then please tell me about them! From previous posts in this forum I understand next limit would like to integrate scripting into studio but it could be a while yet.

Scripting has such a huge potential, in Modo for example some of the user scripts and plugins written in python are massive time savers you can use on a daily basis. Checkout the maze plugin for modo as an example of this if you're interested. Anyway for now the uses are limited in Maxwell, and unfortunately, probably because hardly anyone is scripting for it, there's no community to discuss and learn about Python in maxwell.

Wow that response got longer than I planned, hope it helps though. I would love to hear other people's uses...

Dave
By bograt
Interesting... thanks.
So it obviously has huge potential at batch processing etc.. but is it possible to change the actual functionality of maxwell? e.g to create new camera/lens parameters or tone mapping colour space? (just an example)
Best

Jules
By Half Life
You can create new scene elements, including cameras, and set their parameters, if that is what you mean -- but AFAIK you cannot use pyMaxwell to add new features to Maxwell, so you couldn't use pyMaxwell to create a type of lens/camera that Maxwell does not already support.

Best,
Jason.
hi,

i want to render an animationsequence with glow-effects.

is it possible to disable the posteffects like diffraction/scattering until it reaches the last SL?
by default when diffraction is enabled, the postprocess will be always applied for every SL, which slows down the rendertimes...

or should i launch the sequence without posteffects and apply the posteffects to the rendered mxi-sequence afterwards?

regards
munch
By roch_fr
on the french forum we have a dedicated zone for scripts and a very involved guy named Rodman.

Here is my favorites :
-Rodman's super texture editor allows you to display and edit all the textures of a MXM
http://forum.maxwellrender.fr/viewtopic ... 6&start=45

-randomly apply MXMs stored in a folder according to object names (for Maxwell Studio or 3DSmax)
http://forum.maxwellrender.fr/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3598

Some others are still under dev. as a vray mat. converter and a most difficult dirt mat.

The next release will be a MXM blending mode checker what will inform you if in your mats you've got MXM without a layer in normal mode or with more than 2 layers in additive mode to prevent the "black bars" in your renders.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]