By choo-chee
Hi , decided to try the 2.7 grass.
Well I load a scene but unlike my old maxwell where you click "library" and select your maxwell material and it appears in the att. editor in maya, doing it now won't work. e.g., I click on one of the materials from the library - but it's not connected back to maya, I remain with the default material. Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong ?
By choo-chee
oh man I wanted so much to see the grass.... well I can wait since I'm just playing with it for now (I still use the old maxwell but displ. isn't doing good grass...)
The library browser is not such a critical feature, so it shouldn't keep you from trying the grass. If you have the explorer thumbnail plug-in installed (which gets installed by default), using the regular "import button" should be almost identical to using MXED in library browsing mode:

By choo-chee
well I wanted to try but no luck, lots of crashes, but I think I understand why (doesn't happen with my 1.7)...:
* Hebrew is more problematic for MR 2 than MR 1. MR 2 will not accept it, period.
* Specifying a network path for texture without actually navigating to it first with windows explorer caused a crash

So no grass for me right now...
choo-chee wrote: * Hebrew is more problematic for MR 2 than MR 1. MR 2 will not accept it, period.
I think this has always been a problem, Maxwell does not support asset paths containing non-ascii characters. I'm afraid there's no solution at this time,
choo-chee wrote: * Specifying a network path for texture without actually navigating to it first with windows explorer caused a crash
I can't reproduce this. Which version of Maya and which OS are you using? Are you sure it's because you're typing or pasting the path directly, and not because of that particular texture? Does it crash with any texture if you do this?
By choo-chee
pity about the non-ascii charcterset not being supported, I think MR is the only app I use that doesn't support it.
I wanted to try the preferences-->path feature of MR 2 so I will use an older 1.7 scene without messing my PC (so i installed 2 on another PC as stand-alone only, even without grass, just to see if it works well...) and I browsed to the path and selected it.
however only after opening windows explorer window and going to that specific path, MR accepted it ... (win 7 x64).
I have to say that I'm experiencing strange os behaviour that is not MR related: my work computer somehow is not visible to other computers in my network - but if I type the path than it becomes visible for some time...
That sounds like a networking issue. Most likely, that share is not connected by default, and when you use explorer, it initiates the connection to it. Did you try mapping that shared folder to a drive letter?
By choo-chee
yeah it's a shared network drive s: ....
however since I'm already familiar and fed-up with windows unexpected craziness with network I simply copy all my library every few days to the rendering computer, and that's it.
easier and fail-proof...
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]