Everything related to the integration for SketchUp.
By Richard
Hey Stefan how did you do that? Can you whip up an alternative for the scene manager? How does one use the icons?
By JDHill
If you want to use Stefan's icons, look in [SketchUp]/Plugins/maxwell/img -- that's where the toolbar image files are stored.
By stefan_kaplan
Richard wrote:Can you whip up an alternative for the scene manager? How does one use the icons?
Here's an alternative Scene Manager icon: Image, Image

I think the toolbar would be more logical if the icons where arranged like this:

I'm not able to change the order of the icons though, so that's all up to you, JD ;)

/Stefan
By JDHill
It's not hard to change; the code that creates the toolbar is in plugins/maxwell/lib/ui/toolbar.rb, and it would not be difficult to understand, even if you have no coding experience. I could change it in two seconds, but I don't really like to do that sort of thing mid-version. So, if you want to play around with it, and if you like what you come up with, we can definitely talk about including your changes in the next point release.

Richard also had some requests in another thread, and I talked about making another toolbar, separate from the plugin's...so maybe we could think about something like that -- sort of a toys/power user thing that people could download and use.
By brodie_geers
The plugin is always closed by default when I open SU. Can it be made to work like the other menus which SU remembers whether their open or closed and where they are on the screen based on the previous SU session?

-Brodie
By JDHill
I'll see what I can do about making it sticky.

For the time being, if you want to, you can open the file maxwell/lib/startup.rb and remove the '#' from the second-to-the-last line. A '#' at the beginning of a line in Ruby causes that line to be ignored -- if you remove this one, the plugin will show the Scene Manager at startup.
By brodie_geers
cool, i'll give the ruby trick a shot. the sticky may not be possible. I've noticed that if I have all of my menu's grouped that group seems to stick. However any menu's that aren't in that group always default to the center of the screen on startup. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's not possible.

-Brodie
By brodie_geers
hrm, actually what I described seems to have changed, or maybe it was just a previous fluke I'm recalling. Your menu is now popping up just great and sticking, along with my layers window which is ungrouped. :)

-Brodie
By JDHill
Okay, by 'plugin', I assumed you were referring to the Scene Manager window; the instructions I gave will cause that to be opened at startup. As you find, the toolbar should (should, that is) always have been sticky.
By Richard
EMITTER ML EXPOTENTIAL POWER ADAPTOR

With the issue that emixer files cant be preloaded to the exported file I wonder if the option to add a power slider to an emitter material in the plugin might be an option? Aimed at transfering ML applied power setting to an emitter pre export!

From and intial test exporting with ML enabled, set lighting in ML, read power adjustments from ML sliders and transfer these to the emitter expotential power slider for the material within the SU>MR plugin (with reset option), further tests will then be able to be exported direct without ML enabled and the following tests far quicker with better aligned results and without need for initial adjustments or emixer loading and therefore left without need for attention. Much faster option and can be user choice and therefore very handy.
By JDHill
brodie_geers wrote:What do you think about adding an option to export directly to a network render?

-Brodie
Try this. It has one ruby file inside, which should be placed directly in your /plugins folder, next to maxwell.rb. It has a toolbar with just one button, which writes an mxs and sends it to Maxwell Network Monitor, after asking you if you need to start the Network Manager and/or a render node.
By JDHill
I think that's probably the wrong place for this kind of functionality, Richard. An emitter material in the plugin should feel like a real thing, with watts/efficacy -- I kept the UI using these for real-world familiarity.

I think that a more proper approach to your idea would be for you to be able to export the multilight state of a scene (not emixer, just the current values of the multilight sliders) from maxwell.exe, and then to read it back in automatically next time the scene is rendered. I'd just have it work automatically, where the multilight state was saved into a very simple text file, say with an .ml extension -- when maxwell.exe started rendering, it would look for an .ml file of the same name as the .mxs, and apply the values it found inside, where the emitter names matched up.
By Richard
Mate that would be an ideal option. Though I guess somewhat difficult!

As an aside I'm not sure my suggestion was "really" the "worst" place to put it! :)

Just putting it out there mate for some consideration as there isn't currently any ability to read ML setting for subsequent testing which actually adds some workflow breaks at present. Certainly your option is a cracker though does have a downfall if an additional emitter material is added, and hence my suggestion!
By brodie_geers
JDHill wrote:
brodie_geers wrote:What do you think about adding an option to export directly to a network render?

-Brodie
Try this. It has one ruby file inside, which should be placed directly in your /plugins folder, next to maxwell.rb. It has a toolbar with just one button, which writes an mxs and sends it to Maxwell Network Monitor, after asking you if you need to start the Network Manager and/or a render node.
ooo, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. You're getting to be like my own personal genie.

What can you do in the way of a nicer car and free beer?

-Brodie
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]