By jotero
Hallo all :)

cornell box test maxwell 1.7.1 | 2h:20m, SL: 14.76, Benchmark: 45.12

cornell box test maxwell 2 | 2h:20m, SL: 14.61, Benchmark: 42.56

cornell box test maxwell 2 | 213h:03m, SL: 25.91, Benchmark: 45.65

ciao
torolf
By djflod
Wait, so you spent 9 days rendering balls?
if so ... thats totally nuts
By x_site
you are not concerned about global warming and high energy usage? would be more rewarding to see some of that time used with your mathematical models....
By Maximus3D
I guess what Torolf wanted to show was a sort of speed vs noise type comparion between the two different versions. Rendertime is probably not his biggest concern since alot of Torolf's renderings in his huge thread have rendered for quite a long time. I think he is more focused on quality than time spent rendering the image. Anyways.. i don't know, just guessing based on his post.

/ Max
By shen.de
always thought sl 25 is clean ^^ ... never rendered anything higher than SL18 ...
By Tora_2097
Hi Torolf,

This is what I get after 60min of rendering. Downscaled from 4k rez to 700px*700 px.
were you using complex IOR or something? Also my benchmark was several magnitudes higher than yours (around 200). This could mean that my machine is much faster (Core I7) or that there is something in your scene making it overly hard to compute.
While this is a hard scene to compute with all those caustics it should not take 9 days to compute I guess. Rendering in higher resolutions is also highly beneficial for scenes like this.
My materials where a simple 2 BSDF with a roughness 95 baselayer + a roughness 0 clear layer on top.

Regards,

Benjamin

By Q2
Hi guys, here's mine: Different colors though.... 8)

60 min on a mac pro 8 Core, SL 9,5@4000x4000px, downscaled to 700x700 px.

BUT, have a look at the ceiling, anyone have an idea why it looks so bad?

Cheers

Q2
By jotero
Tora_2097 wrote:Hi Torolf,

This is what I get after 60min of rendering. Downscaled from 4k rez to 700px*700 px.
were you using complex IOR or something? Also my benchmark was several magnitudes higher than yours (around 200). This could mean that my machine is much faster (Core I7) or that there is something in your scene making it overly hard to compute.
While this is a hard scene to compute with all those caustics it should not take 9 days to compute I guess. Rendering in higher resolutions is also highly beneficial for scenes like this.
My materials where a simple 2 BSDF with a roughness 95 baselayer + a roughness 0 clear layer on top.

Regards,

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

I'm too old for the game:)
and my computer too.
I will repeat the test.

Can you give me your scene and I'll give you mine?
t.sauermann @ jotero.com

cordially
Torolf
By knurrebusk
Just wonder when you start to feel ready for teaching architecture?
I know all of you´re brilliant stuff, like one of my friends that is to much detailed.

Why not share your brilliance with us mortals?
This can be copycat´ed like ehh! in the future, so why not take action.

I´m very facinated by unique approaches to boring human greatness, so difficult to overdo the past.

Young students will never understand you if not your ideas are translated into a greater scale!
Huge scale with details, and stamina is your future for sure, gonna smoke some more for you tomorrow :)

I´m gonna infact finally visit my dentist´s new house, it´s so nice I need to build a new house myself.
Believe me there is nothing like envying your own house, I lived in my mind inside all of them.

If I had your detailed attitude I would do even better, time to move on Torolf :)
By knurrebusk
I do mix music with architecture, numbers is none for me though.
They are boring, just a tool for me.

I can be pushed to respect numbers, but never love them.
By micheloupatrick
I just did a quick test, and I'm getting the same bright dots in the glass ball as Torolf, getting worse with each SL.
Benjamin, would you mind sharing your scene? I'd reallly like to know what Torolf and I are doing wrong.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]