All posts related to V2
By Richard
Ok I downloaded v2 at last and tried on an old MXS scene so I do understand some of these issues may be borne from there!

1. Metals from the wizard all render black, even if given 0 roughness render matt black, EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
2. Old scenes opened with V2 delete all emitter materials, EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
3. Glossy materials often render matt, EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
4. Multilight enabled allows adjustment of emitters but not environment, EDIT: SEE TESTS BELOW
5. Sometimes under multilight option if select emitter for solo your stuck with one emitter or another being solo cant get back full control, EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
6. In studion one cant select items behind in wireframe mode, EDIT: STILL CANT SELECT OBJECTS BEHIND
7. AGS wizard produces fairly pour results, EDIT: CAN GET BETTER RESULTS NOW
8. What the hell did they do to studio, I cant even see half of anything now nearly whole screen black other than some numbers and colour swatches here and there, cant see borders to windows or panels,dont know when one finishes and the other starts, (edit ok wroked out how to fix that!) EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
9. Took me about half an hour to find enivornment and render options panels, nice hide! EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
10. No emitter wizard, EDIT: NO MAJOR WORRY
11. V1.7.1 materials all mostly go matt, EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
12. If you use the view button on the bottom of the viewport and hit the red cross it closes the viewport and you've lost it and can not seem to dock it again, might be possible but I can see anything, sometimes I cant even pick where to grab a panel to move it if it isn't partly over the viewport as everything just blends to black!!! EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
13. such a once simple and tidy interface is now for me just seems a near unuseable, unreadable mess! EDIT: REINSTALL FIXED
14. The darn globe to locate the sun manually is also broken now, you cant move sun manually above the horizon. EDIT: JUST SEEMS NEW FUNCTIONALITY WHERE ONE MUST ADJUST TIME AND NOT USE GLOBE AS PREVIOUS - NOT LIKING!
Last edited by Richard on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Richard
Ok I've tried everything - surely there must be a way to adjust environment in multilight? Come on this must not be a feature taken out in the release of V2????

I've tried skydome, physical, IBL and nothing will allow me to adjust environment - is there something silly I'm missing?
By macray
Richard wrote:Ok I've tried everything - surely there must be a way to adjust environment in multilight? Come on this must not be a feature taken out in the release of V2????

I've tried skydome, physical, IBL and nothing will allow me to adjust environment - is there something silly I'm missing?
With me there is no problem adjusting the environment while rendering.

Maybe just reinstall or download Maxwell again. I understand you use the correct plugin for your 3D program?

A lot of your problems I never had.
1. metals render fine when using the wizard
2. old scenes still had their light emitters though some values had to be adjusted
3. glossy material render fine
4. multilight enables the adjustment of emitters, be it HDRI, sky dome or phys.
5. the restriction in studio - don't know about it as I use the cinemaxwell - but I think this was in older studio versions as well
6. never happened to me. (though you know, now the emitters are grouped according to the materials! one slider for all objects with the same material)
7. not yet tested
8. might be related to your graphics card - I think there was another thread here about this problem
9. hidden treasures are more appreciated - yes they are fairly hidden, but once found you can arrange them wherever you like, and you'll find them back
10. yes, there is.
11. 1.7 materials should be adjusted to v2, else they render a little bit different
12. might be another graphics card glitch - never had this here, but I rarely use studio
13. you can adjust the interface, but I have the feeling that your graphics card is the main problem for studio in your case. Otherwise I don't know what you complain about in point 13.
By Richard
Hmmm?

The globe thing as I rotate the globe the sun just stays down below the horizon, cant imagine that to be a graphics card issue.

Nope no emitter! AGS, bubble, car paint, clip map, glass, greasy, metal, plastic, satin, SSS, textured, water, velvet!!

The environment adjustment under multilight seems to be once file is saved in V2 and opened again, environment slider doesn't work. Works on new scene!

Three clean installs and issues persist.
By macray
cannot say anything to the globe. Maybe send a mail to NL customer support...

And to be honest - I rarely use 1.7 files in v2 as I tend to finish projects in on program and build the materials new for everything I model. Until now I haven't tried older models and their materials.
By Richard
Well same here mate! I never use an old models but certainly old materials I would hope!

Though many of the studio issues it seems are not relative to an old model, they are occuring even on a clean slate!
By Richard
Ok no it seems that once you change any settings in studio it automatically disables multilight for environment. I opened a scene and it worked fine then tweaked a material and multilight disabled the environment slider, the slder is there you just cant move it!
By Mihai
Richard, can you update this list? :)

AGS gives poor results, more info?

The earth globe handles GMT automatically, that's why you see it jumping because it uses an internal GMT map.
9. Took me about half an hour to find enivornment and render options panels, nice hide!
Post a screenshot of what your UI looks like, Environment panel should be tabbed with the Objects parameters panel.
10. No emitter wizard,
Is this such a huge loss? You still have the emitter presets in the emitter material. The rest of the emitter parameters whould be about the same as creating them for a wizard.
11. V1.7.1 materials all mostly go matt,
3. Glossy materials often render matt,
Again, please post examples instead of just writing this conclusion. Doesn't help at all to see what the problem is.
12. If you use the view button on the bottom of the viewport and hit the red cross it closes the viewport and you've lost it and can not seem to dock it again,
Don't understand this at all :p Which view button at the bottom of the viewport? You mean top right? There isn't supposed to be a 'red cross' in the viewport panel. Please post a screenshot. Many of your issues seem to be from an install problem.
By Richard
You are right mate most of those problems came from the first install, the all panels were stacked on the left, and yes there was a button on the bottom left of the preview plane not the dual tab that appeared after second install.

Yeah emitter wizard no biggy at all. I just had to recreate all emitters and thought a wzard would have helped, cloning just as good now with color multilight feature!

Sorry I cant show screen of initial install, weird stuff though!
By Richard
Ok I did a round of testing to see what is going on this end!

Did reinstall, clean, reinstall, clean, update graphics driver, clean, reinstall, clean, download new, resinstall though nothing seemed to help!

What I'm getting - as soon as I use physical sky I need to mute the first emitter in any test to avoid MASSIVE artifacts (just skydome of IBL fine), anymore than 5 emitters and environment adjustment disabled in both intenstity or colour + intensity.

BTW artifacts occur after SL1 and thereafter get worse, all AGS replaced with new wizard ones, each hidden from scene one after the other to see if any made difference, no SSS in scene, no difference which emitters omitted first one in emixer has to be mutted to avoid artifacts.

Phys sky / 5 emitter mats / first muted / enviro adjustment disabled / no artifacts

Phys sky / 5 emitter mats / first not muted / enviro adjustment disabled / artifacts

Phys sky + IBL / 5 emitter mats / first muted / enviro adjustment disabled / no artifacts

Phys sky + IBL / 5 emitter mats / first not muted / enviro adjustment disabled / artifacts

IBL - no other / 5 emitter mats / first not muted / environ adjustment disabled / no artifacts

IBL - no other / 4 emitter mats / no mutes / environ adjustment enabled / no artifacts
By pipcleo
hey Richard
I was getting the same issues with noise artefact / first emitter and environment slider stuck on an interior with physical sky.
This was on a 1.7 scene and was rectified when the scene was reproduced as v2 .
Is yours an old 1.7 scene ?
By Richard
Actually yes mate it is an old 1.7 scene though only as far as the export goes from SU - I pretty much updated all the materials onced opened in STudio v2.

I'm not sure how I would then generate a new V2 scene without building all new components in my scene and starting all materials from scatch?

I'm wondering what would be necessary to generate a full V2 scene in Studio if updating all the materials doesn't achieve the same. And would the use of any old component that refers to an old 1.7 material cause an issue later? I could likely search for ever to find the one material in scene that causes a scene to go haywire in the future and maybe then never find it, not sure if I want to build my whole library either at this stage incase it is an issue that is common and can be overcome!

The above file was however generated with the 1.7 plugin to SU, I have been reluctant to install the new plugin as often getting back to the old one may introduce problems that I cant afford due to current commitments.
By Richard
Hey Tom thanks mate!

The Multilight without colour did fix the issue with of artifacts but however hasn't fixed the disabled environment slider.
By tom
I just can't reproduce this. Can you please send me an empty scene (maybe with a few primitives) to check? It should not let me play with environment slider when I run it.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]