All posts related to V2
By PA3K
Hi,

don`t take it as a scientific approach, but I did some tests just out of curiosity with sculpture (benchwell) scene. I turned off IBL and turned on physical sun. I made two views of this scene - one from the side of sun and one from cca 90 deg. angle. I did the same thing with 1.7.1 . I only have MW2 demo now, but I think it will be the same with full version. No sun caustic through glass at all at SL10.
I can add some pictures, but everyone can try it by himself. Since I didn`t changed saving path for output from 1.7.1 and 2, both images were saved in the same file. I was wondering, when i resumed render in MW2 it started calculation with image saved by 1.7.1, and wow double exposure effect appeard.

Anyway, my impressions from MW2 are good. Images have better first look attraction, are cleaner and sharper (try to scale view to 75% or 150% and you will see some aliasing, like the image (especially edges ) is oversharpened). It also look`s like there is difference in white balance. Image from 1.7.1 is more bluish, and there is a tad more magenta tint in MW2.

Just my 2 cents (so I need 400 EUR more including VAT) :D

Patrik
By m-Que
Guess no 'caustics through water' in V2.
That's sad - It was one of the reasons I was waiting for it. :(
On the other hand, I think Maxwell's heading the right way - from what I saw so far, improved caustics is a HUGE leap forward.
Well, at least we have something to wait for V2.1 :D

Thank you for the tests, PA3K.
BTW, nice 'double exposure effect'. Gotta find my 3D glasses to see it properly :wink:
By Mihai
This limitation is not forgotten in the development of Maxwell, it was not enough time to bring a solution for V2. It remains a priority amongst other plans and improvements for the future, both practical/workflow related and render core related.
By oscarMaxwell
Hi all,

As Mihai says, caustics on speculars, among other difficult light propagation situations, is in research and have never been forgotten. Solving it unbiasedly, is an ill conditionated problem, it roughly means that is in its mathematically nature that is hard to solve, and still is an open problem, as in all these years of modern computing no one has found a solution yet.

Yes, there are tons of papers showing some difficult caustics trough glass problems nicely solved, but all of them became very inneficient as soon as the scene shows few or none of these hard features, and they present difficulties as soon as the scene shows simultaneously different lighting complexities. Some programs are able to solve some very specific subset of the problem, under very known conditions ( such as for example not allowing a material to have roughness, having very low ior without dispersion, etc ), and others try with very well known algorithms from those very well known papers, but these optimizations usually introduce penalties in the rendering time when the feature is not present in the scene, and in general introduce new problems in the benefit to solve others.

We can't wait to out maxwell 2 any undefined amount of time until this concrete problem is solved ( I wish we can :P ). In the meanwhile we choose to invest our time in researching ways to speed up the render in those everyday common situations that does not show the previously mentioned issue. This way we improved lot of useful situations: from materials made of multiple complicate layers, to hdr lighting, direct lighting, and so on. Depending on the particularity of the scene, the optimizations can range from a modest winning, to some magnitude orders in the case of difficult HDR lighting. A particularly hard optimization to achieve was the one with materials, now in multiple bsdf materials, like plastics, the noise reduction is several times faster then in 1.7.

To optimize mathematical algorithms and code is hard, so to beat Maxwell 1.7, which has strongly optimized code, has not been easy. Is similar to the situation in which the best elite athlete need years to win hundredth's of second, and each time being harder to beat.

Said so, and sorry for this a bit long post, is almost a personal challenge to solve the caustics through dielctrics and similar problems, and be sure we are working on it, among much more other areas, of course.

Regards,
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]