All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By RonB
Very nice render philip, really like the metals as well as the diamonds.
I would like to see your scene setup.

Cheers, Ron
By ivox3
When you have the direct link, .... just paste it in, ...highlight it, ...click the 'Img' button tag above.

Phillip .... I think we're more interested in seeing how the lighting is being setup than the materials.

There's a lack of good realistic reflections here, .... and that hurts both the metal and the diamond. Look, ...you can see there's a lot of solid grey color in the stone ---- not desirable. When you see that, it just means your reflecting something big and plain --- often it's much better to just reflect the blackness.

Also, one of the things that really helps jewelery to look realistic (not always wanted -- if you can believe that), ...is to not always have everything in focus .... get some blur in there. Where's the law saying everything has to be in focus ? ..if it's coming from an art director then fine, ....if not, ....then experiment.

Your still not using -mL effectively ---- everything is just big and bright, ...no contrast. Mix up the emitter sizes and intensities.

If you use such basic setups, your getting exactly that ---- basic renders. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you need, ....but Maxwell is capable to waaaaaaaaaay more. Don't be afraid to add elements via HDR or even home made MXI's (personal favorite) to the render, ..it won't add to the render times and it'll generally make things more interesting. Personally, that's what I'm interested in here --- uniqueness. Forgive me, but any decent raytracer can produce that image above in way less time ---- if we're going to use something that takes a little longer, then there has to be some kind of compensation for the wait and that is supposedly quality. It exists. Don't settle for anything less, because if you do, ..then you should use something else.

Just trying to move you along Phil .... ;)

PS. That ground plane is putting me to sleep --- I think it's the similar coloration to the metal, ...if it has to stay, maybe adding some reflectance and some roughness might be nice.

By macray
mmmh. I don't know how you see it, but for my taste the jewels are always too pale in these pictures here.

Even with the dark background from hyltom they are pale.

The last picture is too blurred and has a too sharp focus to use it as advert for jewelry, even though it looks better than the first ones... (The reflections show the box around - you might want to give it something else to reflect...)
By philip99
thanks all for your support,
the boxed reflection you see on the shank is from studio box HDRI, I will move it around a bit
question:
do I use screen maped DHRI ?
I get diffrent benchmark at the top every time I start a new render is it normal ?
the icone to move or rotate object stays in the center and is very large, can I change the size

I am working on modified render
Ivox, I am taking notes, toward my render thanks for your time
mean time here is the my file fell free to try it please & post it

http://www.easy-share.com/1906636654/q1.mxs

Phillip
By philip99
Hello,
render at SL14 , I see some grain dots on right side,
how can I fix this ?
please help
Phillip

By Tea_Bag
:shock: Already the diamond is looking much better with the new lighting setup! The gold material is too clean and pale (washed out) as mentioned by macray! As for the noise you see to the right its recommended to hit much higher SL levels when rendering jewellery! it will clear up but let it cook! :wink: - Keep it up tho your heading in the right direction!

Here is a link that has been posted many times which might help you achieve the lighting setup you want!

http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents ... graphy.htm
By Tea_Bag
My Render: SL18.63

I didn't spend alot of time on this but the result is too bad! The DOF needs abit of work and it needs cook longer to remove the finer noise :)
Gold mat still needs some work might try Tom's alloys!

Cooking the updated scene and looks much better!
By Tea_Bag
Jewellery renders especially gold is a hard one to pull of as realism! I've only seen very few renderings (Tom,Ivox,Thomas,dd,oz42 and a few others) that you can actually say wow! that looks real! :)

Anyways here is my update! With Tom's Alloys - SL 14 @ 25min

By philip99
Tea_bag,
I am using 18k white & yellow gold fromTom's gold alloy series.
may be my emitters are too bright and washing out the gold color,
lighting in jewellery render seem to be difficult
I will look at the studio lighting sight you have posted.
thanks a lot for trying the render and your support.
members on this forum is very helpful.
Phillip
By Maximus3D
Those gold materials may be physically accurate with correct values and such but they fall short on the artistic part. Atleast in my eyes they do.. what you need for realism is a mix of the two. In your latest example Teabag the gold feels too bright and overexposed. I'd like it to be more toned down and with more roughness to it and slightly intenser colortones. It's not easy putting this into words.. :)

/ Max
By Tea_Bag
Maximus3D wrote:Those gold materials may be physically accurate with correct values and such but they fall short on the artistic part. Atleast in my eyes they do.. what you need for realism is a mix of the two. In your latest example Teabag the gold feels too bright and overexposed. I'd like it to be more toned down and with more roughness to it and slightly intenser colortones. It's not easy putting this into words.. :)

/ Max
I hear you Max, tweaking the material as we speak! Will post the update soon! :D :wink:
Maximus3D wrote:Those gold materials may be physically accurate with correct values and such but they fall short on the artistic part.

/ Max
Agree! :)
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]