When I assign MXM materials in FormZ the thumbnail preview in the surface style palette often appears as a blank black square. I can't seem to find a solution to this and I can't work out why the preview appears for some MXM files and not for others.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Nik
By Gary
Nik:

Try changing the preview type in form Z, change from cube to sphere or plane— this will force Z to update the MXM preview.

Gary
By nik_h
Thanks Gary. I've tried but it doesn't make any difference. Could the problem be related to the Quicktime component that comes with Maxwell? I've got a feeling that this isn't doing what it should be doing in Finder either.

Nik
By Peder
Switching the preview (tab) back to the FZ material preview and back again forces the update. Does this not work for you?

Oeder
By medmonds
Peder and Nik,
I have the same thing happening to me... Sometimes switching to the FZ material preview works, sometimes not. Needs fixing.
By nik_h
Switching the preview doesn't work for me either. Interestingly the previews work for the MXMs that ship with Maxwell (as long as I don't modify them in any way), but not for any material that I create myself with MXED.

Nik
By pelias
nik_h wrote:Switching the preview doesn't work for me either. Interestingly the previews work for the MXMs that ship with Maxwell (as long as I don't modify them in any way), but not for any material that I create myself with MXED.
The most likely cause here is that you do not generate the preview in MXED and/or do not save it. The material previews are not generated on the fly, they need to be present in MXM file. MXED will generate them for you, you just need to hit "refresh preview" button.

I will look at the problem of preview not appearing - it does work for me but there seems to be a glitch there in the code. BTW - as far as I can tell there is no way it can be related to the Quicktime component.

Pavol
By nik_h
Hi Pelias,

The problem MXMs all have previews generated in MXED which have been refreshed and appear properly in Studio. This problem has only appeared with the latest update to Maxwell and the FormZ plugin. Prior to that everything was working fine.

Nik
By nik_h
Any update on this issue? I've installed the latest plug-in and the problem remains. Previews for MXMs that come bundled with Maxwell show fine, but previews for MXMs I've created or downloaded from the MXM Gallery just show as an empty black square. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Nik
By pelias
Is anyone on Apple Intel machine able to reproduce this? I've tried but without any luck. I will retest on PPC machine but it will take some time.

Pavol
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]