By MS
Finally after a month I had enough time to test 1.8 CTP plugin for C4D.

1) As I know from 1.7 version Xref were not working properly - materials from external files did not appear in final render.

It is same with new plugin:

I have tested very easy scene setup. One external file with "aluminium"

cube included in another scenes as xref

I would like material from cube's scene is loaded and used in render.

2) Layer tag "hide for render" is ignored by plugin. I set up "Lisa" to layer "Humans" in the scene. Then in Layer browser I disabled "Humans" layer to be rendered. But the plugin does not care about this settings...

So I wanted final render to look like this

but I ended with that

The xrefs and layers are very powerful tools in newer version (since 10.5 I guess) of Cinema and they both help me a lot managing big scenes. But without support in plugin it cannot be used efficiently...

JDHill, would you be so kind and implement those two features in the plugin? Is it possible/easy/hard/impossible to implement?

If you need any other information or scene files I will support you as much as I can.
By jespi
Full agree with you MS, cinema4d's layer system integration would be very handy. In fact, I think is a must, I've loosed lots of hours changing "by hand" the objects visibility in render time when rendering with maxwell plugin.
By JDHill
Thanks, I'll look into what it takes to do this. The 1.8 plugin is using a standard function in the Cinema SDK to get the scene as meshes for rendering - I have found that routine to be lacking in many areas, so the next version will have a totally new strategy...
By jespi
JDHill wrote:Thanks, I'll look into what it takes to do this. The 1.8 plugin is using a standard function in the Cinema SDK to get the scene as meshes for rendering - I have found that routine to be lacking in many areas, so the next version will have a totally new strategy...
Great!!
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]