Everything related to http://resources.maxwellrender.com
By ivox3
Thanks. Cool.

Perhaps we should have various versions of the Simball ?

Industrial design materials, displacement, character/figure, etc..

?

Seems like common sense.
By Tea_Bag
ivox3 wrote:Thanks. Cool.

?

Seems like common sense.

Agree - It seems we might have to go down that particular path - we already have a preset scene for cloth like materials and Thomas's simball so why not add to it? It will allow better flexibility! I hope hyltom's simball version gets the approval :D
By djflod
I hope hyltom's simball version gets the approval
+ 1

8)
By Thomas An.
Another FAILED attempt:

Image......Image

Image......Image

By hyltom
I also want to know why this is a failed attempt...It looks really good to me.

Few comments:
- The area that you call "main body with direct reflection" is little bit small compared with the flat area.

- Instead of having a the ball dig by another sphere that create a smooth boolean, i will prefer personally to have some step showing different thickness like 1, 2, 3, 4mm....

- I'm still missing something to grab the reflectance 90 on this one.

Other than that i really like all the features you have added....specially the subsurface ruler, the large ray trap (easy to understand), and the pool.
By kami
ivox3 wrote:Thanks. Cool.

?

Seems like common sense.
That's a good idea! At the moment, all material testing objects only work on a small scale. Sadly, none of them works with large scale textures in realscale (eg. textures of 2m x 3m) which are often needed in archviz.
So a "sim ball" for archiviz could be great as well.
By Fernando Tella
kami wrote:Sadly, none of them works with large scale textures in realscale (eg. textures of 2m x 3m) which are often needed in archviz.
So a "sim ball" for archiviz could be great as well.
Oh! yes! I also have that problem.
By lllab
very nice and interesting, i also find the simball 2.0 not bad functionwise. it is not very beautifull but seem to work good. why is it failed thomas?
cheers
stefan
By Nasok
Hey guys .. I know it's been a while since last posst in this thread - but it feels like that we should do something with the simball that we currently have.

So, I'm preparing another pack of materials and this time decided to use a simball for testing - so it would be easier for fellow Maxwell users to see the benefits and - you know deal with a test object they are used to. However, I found out that UV mapping on the test ball (the one that is bundled with Maxwell Studio) are .. a bit strange.
Feels like it is just flat planar projection from camera view. Which might be fine for some opaque objects but brings rather confusion to everything transparent that is textured.

I've tried to export Simball from Maxwell Studio to give it a nice and clean UV map it deserves - but of course it is locked.

SO I'm a bit confused, what do you guys think ? Does anyone have this sim ball geometry in mesh format ?
I do understand that making a clean UV on spherical object will make any straight pattern visually look distorted (I mean that's expectable, right?) and Maybe there should be a set of complimentary material testing objects for different types of materials, but it's just feels that planar mapping on spherical object - is not the best idea - since it doesn't even gives a true representation of the texture look, nor the material itself - and that is the biggest reason why materials on 3D models look completely different from materials on simball.

I would prefer to use simball - as I really think it is pretty smart structure - and I personally like the way it looks (maybe I would only add a little variety to edge radius to have more star and med-smooth corners here and there) - and I think if it'll be properly mapped - it'll be awesome!

So if anyone has the obj, fix, abc or what ever format (beside the mxs) - please share - and I'll do the UV mapping so that we could all enjoy it for our materials.

Cheers,
🙌🏼
By Nasok
:lol: man, I should've payed more attention to the author of the reply :)
Hi Thomas, Thanks for your reply - I've downloaded Maxwell's material preview scene from your website - unfortunately it comes only in MXS and STP formats.
MXS - works great in studio but cannot be exported into OBJ or something for further UV mapping. It says geometry is protected :)
And STP format - I can open it up in Maya 2018, but it looks like translation STP into curbs in Maya is bit off (check the screenshot)

I was hoping that, maybe, someone would have the "unprotected MXS file of that Simball" or a better working STP file ? All I want to do is just to give that simball a well deserved UV unwrapping so that we could preview more complex textures on it. Especially for textured transparent surfaces.

Once I'm done would UV mapping I would put it back into the exact same scene, same position, same everything and will upload it for everyone to have.
So, please, if anyone have this simball in open format - please share :)

Thanks,
Tim.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]