By acclaimimaging
Wonder if anyone can help me, I'm new to Maxwell and am using the Lightwave plug-in but can't seem to get clipmaps to work. I've looked through the forum and tried the ghost layer workaround, and have also tried emulating the way that Maxwell studio deals with them by using the transmittance channel for the alpha map but I can't get any of them to display properly - when rendered I get a black surround and the area that should be visible is transparent.

Has anyone else encountered this and can anyone help please?!?!
Last edited by acclaimimaging on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By def4d
I'm not a LW user, but i would download a mxm from the mxm gallery, and see if the problem persists!
By acclaimimaging
def4d wrote:I'm not a LW user, but i would download a mxm from the mxm gallery, and see if the problem persists!
Thanks for the reply def4d, I have tried this and have also tried creating a clipmap in Maxwell material editor then importing into the LW plugin but I still get the same result :(

Phil
By hdesbois
Have you tried weightmapping? That's better with multilayer materials. Whenever possible, i find it more easy to use LW just to build the scene and set UV's, then do most of the texturing with studio. My prefered method for clipmaps:
Create a map where the clipped parts are pure white, the rest pure black.
Create as many maps as you need layers, with clipped parts black, and the other parts according respective weight of you layers.
In material editor, create an "air" layer with maximum transmittance (color pure white), nd=1. Weight with your first map.
Then built other layers as suits you, applying relevant weighmaps.
HD
By def4d
i red what u said first again, have you just tried to invert the transmittance map?
By acclaimimaging
def4d wrote:i red what u said first again, have you just tried to invert the transmittance map?
Hi, yes I've tried it both inverted and not inverted but it gives exactly the same result...

phil
By def4d
maybe a simple quick render would help!
By mrcz
acclaimimaging wrote: Yes, I've followed this tutorial, but still no joy.....
Phil
It is strange. I have tried it and it worked for me.

And what about Texture Projector/Locator?

Did you check it in Studio? Or you fired mxcl right from Lightwave?

Martin
By acclaimimaging
mrcz wrote:
acclaimimaging wrote: Yes, I've followed this tutorial, but still no joy.....
Phil
It is strange. I have tried it and it worked for me.

And what about Texture Projector/Locator?

Did you check it in Studio? Or you fired mxcl right from Lightwave?

Martin
Hi, yes it is strange, the clipmaps work fine if I render from Studio, once I have created the clipmap in the maxwell material editor. However, I am trying to fire mxcl from Lightwave and this is when I get the problem. It seems I can't use Studio reliably, as I keep getting runtime errors/crashes which I assume relate to a lack of memory, but that's another issue.

Phil
By mrcz
I have tried it your way.
Lightwave 8.5 32bit - lwo with Maxwell Material Shader attached.
Rendered directly via plugin version 1.5.8.
Planar, Cubic and UV projections are working fine.

I have no idea what is wrong in your case.

Martin
By acclaimimaging
Thanks everyone who has helped, I have now got it working. The problem was that I was using a clipmap with a black background/clip area (0,0,0) and then inverting the texture rather than using a texture with a pure white clip area (255,255,255). This works fine in Studio but obviously not in the LW plugin. Thanks for the help though guys!
Phil
By def4d
so you can add "resolved" on top of the topic :wink:
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]