By AndreD
Hi,
I just saw the first screenshots of the fry c4d plug in and I´m feeling gutted.
Fry is still beta and maxwell "the realease" is out for more than one year now.
Will we ever get a plugin like the fry-user got in beta?!

I´m really thinking to go fry, just because of the plugin :cry:
By Carl007
You lucky guy...
I am on a mac, I am not able to go the sweet fry way...

I would like to beta test the cinemaxwell plug, anyone know who codes it, and how to become a betatester for cinemaxwell? How many betatest cinemaxwell plugin nowadays?
By mmhnemo
t'has been asked and explained multiple times that neither the plugin testing procedures nor the amount of people/systems are sufficient.
It was suggested that the development versions should be handed out to a wider audience to speed up and tighten the testing process but the answer has always been

NO

So maybe soon we'll get a fully featured and working plugin ... maybe within the next 2000 years - which is the same as 'soon' as every user here has learned by now.

just don't wait for maxwell - get over it and and get productive (lots of tools and software out there)
By jurX
...one of the big points I still trust in maxwell is the realistic-quality of the renders , which is still better than fry-can do,....except some single pix,...imho

yes I know fry produces very nice qualitiy,...but maxwell is a nuance more realistic....
By Carl007
Yes, I like maxwell Render and the approach, not the studio....

"It was suggested that the development versions should be handed out to a wider audience to speed up and tighten the testing process but the answer has always been

NO "

Well, who is responsible for the project of cinemaxwell, who is saying NO?
By jespi
Carl007 wrote:You lucky guy...
I am on a mac, I am not able to go the sweet fry way...

I would like to beta test the cinemaxwell plug, anyone know who codes it, and how to become a betatester for cinemaxwell? How many betatest cinemaxwell plugin nowadays?
Sometimes NL have ears :lol:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... hp?t=24073
By Rochr
Well, the only use i have of Maxwell these days are as a lowres clay renderer to test simple models, and even that is getting more rare for every week that passes. Doesn´t exactly help that it´s the most unstable software i have installed either.
Personally i´ve already deleted Maxwell from my toolbox, and after reading about the 1.5 release, i´m even more glad i did.

I´ve been beta testing CG software in the past, and all those procedures were based on testing the software as a whole, not just some new cool features or the exporter functionality.
You can´t just slob together some basic shapes and primitives or one model and see if it works(this conclusion is based on most of the preview images i´ve seen prior to every "great" release), but treat it as you would with larger production work, with a scene that incorporates a vast number of functions and objects simultaneously.

Personally i would´ve used something like a city block, which holds many different types of textures/materials, as well as models/modeling procedures, and then try to incorporate as many different features i could put into it.
These are the type of scenes that can really test how solid a software is, and also the type of scenes where things most likely can go wrong.

I don´t know how or what you´re testing in Cinemaxwell, but it seems you need to reevaluate whatever procedures you use, because apparently they don´t work that well.
By macray
@rochr:
Do I understand you correct that you didn't give 1.5 a try? Do it - this is far better than 1.1 ever was and it works!

Give it a try at least - they improved it a lot!
By Rochr
macray wrote:@rochr:
Do I understand you correct that you didn't give 1.5 a try? Do it - this is far better than 1.1 ever was and it works!

Give it a try at least - they improved it a lot!
Well, since someone decided to terminate the support for C4D 8.5, i´m out of the loop completely. At least until i upgrade to V10, which is probably going to happen this fall, at earliest.

But unless there have been a vast improvement in workflow and memory handling, it really is all the same to me.

I only wanted the physically based lighting in the first place and have no use for MXM´s and features like multilight, glare, z-clip and whatnot, and i don´t really need Maxwell. I initially just thought it could be a nice addition to my toolbox and a quick way to add GI to my scenes.
Unfortunatly i had to learn the hard way that there´s just nothing quick about the procedure in setting up the scenes for render in Maxwell.
By Becco_UK
Rochr: Don't know if this is helpful but Maxwell 1.5 works with the demo of Cinema10 so it's still possible to use Maxwell with older Cinema scenes.
By macray
nice workaround - if you need pictures with the maximum size of your screen resolution.

I know it works because I was doing it the same way before buying r10.
By Rochr
Becco_UK wrote:Rochr: Don't know if this is helpful but Maxwell 1.5 works with the demo of Cinema10 so it's still possible to use Maxwell with older Cinema scenes.
Thanks Becco.

But normally there are all sorts of limitations in demos, from time limitations to limited resolution and/or watermarking, so it wouldn´t be of much use anyway. If i´m going to use Maxwell i need something that´s usable for production work, and unfortunatly i still very much doubt 1.5 is that.
The workflow seem to be the same as before, and to my understanding the memory handling doesn´t seem to be much better than before. (based on some of the comments in these forums)

To be honest, i really don´t have time to spend double the amount of time on every scene because of Maxwells instability and crazy tagging.
I´ll be buying AR as well, so i much rather skip Maxwell alltogether.
It may take longer setting up the lighting i need, but i´ll make up for that 10 times over by not having to go through Maxwell tideous scene setup.

With that said, i´m using 1.1 for a job now. But in this case it´s a completely untextured scene, which will be used as a base/guide for a matte painting, blown up in size and painted over. Pretty much all i can use it for right now.
By macray
You can use the demo to full extend, you just cannot save.

So you can still model everything in 8.5..... just load in r10 demo to use maxwell to its full potential...
By Rochr
macray wrote:You can use the demo to full extend, you just cannot save.

So you can still model everything in 8.5..... just load in r10 demo to use maxwell to its full potential...
Thanks Macray, i guess that could work. Although...

"The workflow seem to be the same as before, and to my understanding the memory handling doesn´t seem to be much better than before."

...and...

"To be honest, i really don´t have time to spend double the amount of time on every scene because of Maxwells instability and crazy tagging"

;)
By Becco_UK
Rochr: It isn't necessary to place material tags on every Cinema object these days when using Maxwell 1.5. Most (but not all) materials get converted ok by the Maxwell plugin. There is still some messing about but less than there used to be.

I suppose the extent of messing about depends on how much reliance is being placed on converting Cinema materials. Personally, I no longer bother with Cinema materials, preferring instead to just make a Maxwell material (cutting out the Maxon middle man!) which suits my modest needs.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]