By giacob
i simply couldt do anything with it due to overwhelming problem with geometry and mapping. error...
but perhaps its just the file i am using to test it....
... would like to know about your expereince
By Bogdan Coroi
What do you mean by "anything"? If you could describe your problems in more specific terms, we will do our best to help you solve them. Also, could you share the scene mentioned above?
By lopatam
I use it today for a scene,no crash .

I would like to have the preview and the name of the mxm that I import.I've to click update to have a preview of my mxm .
I can't set a path for my mxm directory ,I've all my mxm on a server and I can't select any network path ,only paths on my pc .

Bye
Gianmarco
By giacob
then perhaps it just this scene .... i will carefully revise these this scene reapply again all the material etc the.. and will see what happen
By giacob
anyway the lost common error i get the usual "not enough material etc... " even if i have cecked that all texture in my maxwell material have a cubic projector....
By WillMartin
Call me simple, but this one put a smile of relief on my face after using it:

> automatic texture sizing in the Maxwell shader <

No more copying-pasting the x-y-z's! :)

Will play around with it more later. Gotta run off to work now. :(
By sidenimjay
usually the not enough channels for material (0) means that there are more
than 1 projection layer being requested by the mxm but not enough uvs on the
object

you can have multiple projections for any given triangle, if the map is using uv2 and there is only 1 uv layer on the object you will get the above error, or something very similar

check to make sure the mxm files arent using more than one channel or that
all the projections are coming through from lightwave

ps i use the houdini exporter, but the error from maxwell is the same
By giacob
the problem is :
since in Lw one dont assign a projection number to the varios channel as , for instance, in 3DMAX...how can I realize where in the material i am giving less UV than needed?
By giacob
I have realized that it gives this error messagge when i use a certain textured material in more than a object layer... if i render just one object layer in which the aformentioned material is used the render start..... for instance if i use the material "wall" in the layer object A alone it renders .. if i use the same material also on the object layer B it give the ".. not enough materiaò etc..." error message
By sidenimjay
the mxm being used is where the request for uv layers should be...

mxcl should only be giving this error if the mxm has a texture in more than one layer and not enough uvs for that material as far as i know

you can get the same error if you try to render using the preview_jose setup in mxed if there is more than one layer, as there arent enough uv layers in the sample scene

i do recall an instance when setting up the houdini plugin that i was trying simplify the mxm code but due to the method i was using, multiple uses of the same material were not being instanced correctly. the uvs were not being set because the material was already created and wasnt parsed again on subsequent calls so the object didnt know how many uvs to use and was not using any even though they existed on the object. this too returned the not enough error because the uvs were not being set for the given object.

it depends on the plugin, if the material is not parsed for each object that uses it , the number of uv layers have to be stored for each material and called with the material so that each uv layer can be set for the object. one other option is to just always set all uvlayers found on objects all the time even if the shader doesnt use them, however this approach would be inefficient if no mxms use more than one layer.

this could be possible as in your setup it works for layerA but not for layerB. i assume that layerB will render if you are not rendering layerA and that you only get the errror when trying to render both.

if this is the case there may be nothing you can do to make it work, as the plugin would need to be fixed to parse for uvchannels on subsequent call of a given mxm file.

this is all speculation on my part as i didnt write nor have i used the lw plugin
By maxando
giacob wrote:i simply couldt do anything with it due to overwhelming problem with geometry and mapping. error...
but perhaps its just the file i am using to test it....
... would like to know about your expereince
yeah me too. one of my objects was missing parts when i hit render. and why is there no anti-aliasing options for the LW 2 MR plug-in? my plug-in renders come out blurry. what the hell. reply.
By WillMartin
There are no anti-aliasing settings with Maxwell as who would want a non-antialised image that was supposed to look photoreal? No one. :) So it's always in an equivalent of "full anti-aliasing mode" if you will.

Unlike LW, Maxwell works like photography. As with a real camera, you achieve crispness by setting the focal distance correctly, the lighting, the f-stop, etc. If your object is .5 meter from the camera and your focus is set for 30meters, there's a pretty good chance the object is going to look out of focus in your render just like in reality. So change your focus in that case to .5 meters for a start. There are other things that affect it too. If you know nothing about photography then you'll have a little learning to do I guess, but at least with your license you have access to the docs and the forums to get up to speed. :)

As far as the object missing parts, what version of the plug-in and Maxwell are you using?
By maxando
WillMartin wrote:There are no anti-aliasing settings with Maxwell as who would want a non-antialised image that was supposed to look photoreal? No one. :) So it's always in an equivalent of "full anti-aliasing mode" if you will.

Unlike LW, Maxwell works like photography. As with a real camera, you achieve crispness by setting the focal distance correctly, the lighting, the f-stop, etc. If your object is .5 meter from the camera and your focus is set for 30meters, there's a pretty good chance the object is going to look out of focus in your render just like in reality. So change your focus in that case to .5 meters for a start. There are other things that affect it too. If you know nothing about photography then you'll have a little learning to do I guess, but at least with your license you have access to the docs and the forums to get up to speed. :)

As far as the object missing parts, what version of the plug-in and Maxwell are you using?
Maxwell Render 1.5. maybe it doesn't recognizes layers.
By WillMartin
I asked what version because on older versions you almost had to "triple" all the polies of your object (or more specifically, make a copy of it that is tripled for M~R). Unfortunately, I find that sometimes I still need to do that even in 1.5, which isn't that big a deal, for me anyway. So, I suggest, make a version of your object that is tripled and see if it shows up whole. Sometimes there are some crazy n-gons that MW just can't quite wrap its translater around. That's my suggestion for now anyway. :)
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]