Everything related to SDK.
By casey
1) It looks like currently the SDK buffers the entire scene in memory, and then writes it to an MXS file in one go. This doesn't seem like a good way to go because you're never going to be able to export really large scenes this way, especially if you assume that an art tool is currently sucking down a lot of memory itself. It would be much nicer if the export was a streaming process, where you handed triangles to it and they got dumped immediately to some temporary files, and then when you're all done it gathers them all into one file, but the whole scene doesn't need to be in memory at any time.

2) I didn't see any MXI loading / access in there. It seems like this would be a good addition.

Apologies in advance if either of these is already addressed - I haven't dug into the SDK too deeply yet.

- Casey
By juan
Hi Casey,

Thank you a lot for your comments,
casey wrote:1) It looks like currently the SDK buffers the entire scene in memory, and then writes it to an MXS file in one go. This doesn't seem like a good way to go because you're never going to be able to export really large scenes this way
I agree with the fact that a streaming system would be good and we could provide it in the short term, but anyway you can export really large scenes with the current system, what do you mean with really large scenes? Now you can export to mxs a scene with 7-8 millions of polys in a standard 32 bits computer.
casey wrote: 2) I didn't see any MXI loading / access in there. It seems like this would be a good addition.
Right now the sdk is only to write mxs but we have plans to open it a lot in the future, not only for reading mxi althought this is not decided yet.

Kind regards,

Juan
By casey
juan wrote:Thank you a lot for your comments
Thanks for the cool renderer :)
juan wrote:I agree with the fact that a streaming system would be good and we could provide it in the short term, but anyway you can export really large scenes with the current system, what do you mean with really large scenes? Now you can export to mxs a scene with 7-8 millions of polys in a standard 32 bits computer.
Grass, hair, trees, etc., are all things which could easily spit out millions of triangles. I know it's not possible right now, but in the future it would be great if Maxwell's SDK and rendering engine were both out-of-core capable enough so that you could literally use any size scene, it would just take longer to render. So you could write out 100 million triangles and then hit render, and as long as you were willing to wait (or had enough machines on your farm), it would still work.

- Casey
By juan
Hi Casey,
Yes for this cases you are absolutely true and we will add this sort of features in the middle term.
Thanks for the cool renderer Smile
Thanks a lot but a renderer is nothing without tallented users like you all making incredible pics.

Juan
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]