Everything related to Maxwell Render and general stuff that doesn't fit in other categories.
By noseman
I make an mxs file from the PC (3dsMAX).
My model has jpg bitmaps.
When I copy the file to the mac and render it it says:

Reading MXS File: /maxwellfolder/camel.mxs
MXS file read successfully

>> Checking Data...
>> Preprocessing Data...
>> Loading Bitmaps...
can't open C:\rolex\tabletop\pack.jpg
Error: File C:\rolex\tabletop\pack.jpg not loaded

I have the bitmap in the same folder...
How do I deal with this path problem?
By lluistar
Looks like the .mxs files store absolute paths instead of relative.

I found the image I tested in the root of my user folder and the name was D/\RenderBox\led.tga. This means that this image was suposed to be output to the Disk D in the directory Render Box.

Might you try to rename the bitmap C/\rolex\tabletop\pack.jpg and leave it in the root of your disk. I know it is crazy, and probably it will not work. but.

Salut,
Lluis
By noseman
You are right Llouis it works!!!

The path is the user root!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By tom
Use network shared paths instead;

\\machine\path\files....
By lluistar
Tom, I believe you store your renders in your hard disk D: in the directory RenderBox, don't you? I know this because the file I tested, I think, comes from you, And the output path is hard coded into the mxs file. It does not matter if you use nertwork shared paths instead, because if the machine where you are moving the mxs has a different network setup that the one where you created the mxs file, you might have problems with your textures.

If the path to the textures is relative to the location of the mxs file, would it be better;

../textures/blabla.jpg

or this does not work in windows?
By tom
lluistar wrote:Tom, I believe you store your renders in your hard disk D: in the directory RenderBox, don't you? I know this because the file I tested, I think, comes from you, And the output path is hard coded into the mxs file. It does not matter if you use nertwork shared paths instead, because if the machine where you are moving the mxs has a different network setup that the one where you created the mxs file, you might have problems with your textures.

If the path to the textures is relative to the location of the mxs file, would it be better;

../textures/blabla.jpg

or this does not work in windows?
yeah, if you also create the same directories and files it'll surely work with absolute paths or you may alter it within the file, i didn't try this.
my previous suggestion is valid before exporting the mxs.
so, noseman can define a network path (if both his PC and MAC is sharing the same) for his images and then publish the scene from pc...
so he can render under MAC with no path problems...
By lluistar
Tom, a mac does not understand "c:"

as far as I know you can't replicate a windows path on a mac.

I've seen that the output path is easy to change inside the mxs file. probably the paths to the textures can be changed aswell.

Since Maxwell runs on windows, linux and mac machines a mxs file should be able to be moved from one os to another. and not having to tweak the path.

Relative paths, makes more easy to take your mxs file and your textures and render it where ever you want.
By tom
For about absolute paths I mean PCs not MACs.
I know their operating system is quite different.

I already suggested you to use a shared network path like
\\machine\path\
while using Mac and PC together.
As far as I know network syntax must be the same on each.
By lluistar
The path I have to use in the teminal to access any windows machine in my office is /Volumes/NETWORK\;MACHINE/path
This is a smb share
I tried your way unsucsessfuly.
I don't know with a diffrent type of network.
By tom
Then we must request relative paths from the developers :) Don't you think so? At least it can check the actual mxs folder when failed to find absolutely.
By jakegoat
tom wrote:Then we must request relative paths from the developers :) Don't you think so? At least it can check the actual mxs folder when failed to find absolutely.
Yes! This makes portability very, very good for the future. Just being able to upload a single directory to a renderfarm would be very useful. Searching the path is good, but if that fails, checking ./ would be awesome.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]