All posts related to V2
By derekjackson
Hi,
we'd like to create a spherical render for VR purposes, using Maxwell v2.

As far as I know, I don't think it can be done directly from Maxwell - is that correct? If not, would there be some way of rendering a series of standard images which could then be combined in some way? Perhaps a Photoshop plugin?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek
By Nova66
derekjackson wrote:we'd like to create a spherical render for VR purposes, using Maxwell v2.
As far as I know, I don't think it can be done directly from Maxwell - is that correct?
If not, would there be some way of rendering a series of standard images which could then be combined in some way?
You are correct in saying that v2 can't do panoramas directly but you certainly can make 360° panoramas with v2 by manually combining standard images.

I used to setup a perfectly square view in my host application and set the camera to a 90° field of view. If you imagine your camera being in the centre of a virtual cube, I would save 6 camera views, one for each of the faces of that virtual cube.

Before rendering each camera view, you will need to turn off Vignetting.
In Maxwell Studio goto: Render Options > Simulens > Turn on Devignetting > and set it to 100%

Once I had my 6 rendered images I used to use a tool called "Pano2VR" to conert them to an Equirectangular panorama. The results were perfect though a little laborious to create.

Mind you, now in Maxwell v3.2.1.0 you get a Spherical Panorama lens along with a Stereo Lat-Long lens for creating Stereo Panoramas for Google Cardboard or one of the other high end Virtual Reality gogles. Once you've tried "Stereo Lat-Long" you'll never want to go back, I guarantee it :-)

HTH,
Andrew.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]