All posts related to V2
By kami
With another scene I notice a strange behavoir I did not expect, so I did some speed tests to show what I mean.
It is concerning objects being hidden from camera and masks.

The scene is an exterior building (not very large). Overall polygon count is 4.2 million (with instances disabled).
There is a small forest in the scene which I only needed for light and reflection purposes consisting from 134 (instanced) lowpoly trees. (= 1.8 mio polygons)
I let all of them run until SL5. Here are the different settings and results:

Normal Setup - instances disabled - no objects hidden from camera:
5m26s

Normal Setup - Instances enabled- no objects hidden from camera:
10m22s (that was what I was expecting)

Normal Setup - all trees hidden from camera:
instances off: 15m58s
instances on: 1h02m12s
this came very unexpectedly ... the same scene running 3 to 6 times longer, just because some objects are being hidden from camera

Mask tests:
Normal Setup - instances disabled - no objects hidden from camera - rendering channel always enabled besides the masks:
no masks (as above): 5m26s
minimal masks (alpha and materialID): 5m46s
multiple masks (alpha, materialID, objectID, z-depth, normals): 6m35s
shadow masks (just the shadow mask!): 9m13s
multiple masks (same as above+shadow): 10m13s
this was also a suprise to me, that the shadow mask alone slowed down the rendering by almost 50%

Is there a specific reason for both of these speed losses? Is this something that might be optimized for Maxwell v3?
By polynurb
are you referring to as you write "hidden to camera" or "hidden"?
in rhino there are both options, and "hidden to camera" does only exactly that: objects are hidden from the cam, but are still calculated in all other respect(shadows refraction,etc.). So I would not expect any speed-up using hidden to cam at all.
It is unexpected though that it takes much longer with instances hidden than visible, seems like this is a rare case the engine is not very optimized for.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]