All posts related to V2
By gianca
I'm having some troubles with a render with displacement mapping.
It's a big scene with few objects with a displacement map used recreate some ice.
I'm doing some test renders to check the displacement height at a lower resolution and with just few objects turned on at a time, and I'm happy with the results.
However, once I export the scene as mxs out of maya and I try to render the final render at 4k all displacements are gone.
I updated to the latest versions of both the render and the plugin, I try to run a render from within maya at 1k to see if maps are loading ok, and everything is fine until I try to render at 4k.

Has anyone run into a similar problems?
I'm kinda of desperate, I tried everything I could think of.

Gianca
By gianca
Thanks Brian.
I'm not using instances, and motion blur has been turning off.

Displacement works, and looks great, but en I render the "patches" individually
When I export the mxs from maya and render it, displacement does not work: at first I felt it could not find the maps.
Could it be that maxwell render has some issues with unc paths?
I've been wondering about that, altough unc issues wont explain why displacement looks correct when I launch the render from the renderview (with not all objects visible).
By gianca
Still having issues, and more.
I rebuild the scene, and seems to be working, but I was not able to get the scene to do what I want: at some point some of the changes I introduce break the scene, and the surfaces with displacement render without any displacement.
Some of the changes that may be responsible for this issues are changing the displacement type to as well as changing the displacement height. The workflow I'm using is as follow: for each shader I run a render test with only the surfaces affected by the shader visible: when I'm happy with the result I move to the next shader; I have about 5 shaders with displacement in the scene. When I'm done I try to render the scene and most of the displacement are not showing any displacement at all. Looks like maxwell is giving up on too much displacement...
Is there a limit? I'm a running a XP64 8 core AMD 2384 2.7Ghz with 32Gb of ram, so I assume the workstation I'm using is not a factor.

Now I'm running into a new issue: in the middle of the rendered images there is some noise that does not seem to go away no matter how much SL I achieved. Looks like some striped noise.
See the link:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2775/435 ... 4f50_o.jpg

I'm trying to promote maxwell as a viable tool for matte painting, but I failed to impress my peers so far: help me out here!!!

Gianca
By Mihai
If you can, please send me the scene. It will remain confidential. You can open the generated mxs in Studio. Then File>Pack & Go, choose a folder where to store all the files, the zip it and send that to me.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]