All posts related to V2
Dear Maxweller's, our game studio is building an environment in Unreal 3 and needs a render of the environment for our conference. However the scene is untextured and we need to be resourceful and compromise.

I've run out of time as I'm off to France for a presentation tomorrow night (in 48 hours).
Is anyone generous enough to investigate the render settings and brighten the scene right up so that it looks like theres a lot of light coming in? I just threw a big emissive sphere in my scene and everything was still pitch black. I have no idea why.

It's for a major Unreal 3 presentation and I've simply run out of time to work it into shape. I have to focus on our game trailer. I've also completely forgotten how to work Maxwell the way I used to.
Would anyone be interested in offering their assistance? I've prepared $200 to be deposited into a volenteer's account for this.

Only one thing needs to happen:

[+] Scene brightness needs to be 'generally' in-line with the concept provided.

(optional but if your feeling generous)
[+] Some realistic materials assigned to the geometry.

The max scene and concept are avaliable here:
http://www.shuugouteki.net/paul/Develop ... antina.rar

Heres a screenshot of the scene: (simple game geometry)

Heres a preview of the concept:

Many thanks in advance for this. I hope one of you can beat this thing into shape by tonight.
I'll render it here on my 8-core mac at 1920x1080 as long as you can throw some big lights in there and provide me with a couple of previews of what I'm going to process.
Other than that I trust you guys with this and I'm sure it will end up looking amazing once I've finished with it.

Again my thanks and godspeed.

Warmest Ragards,
Paul W.

silospark@gmail.com
Last edited by subspark on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Just giving you a heads up, but unless somebody is feeling reaaaaaaaaaally generous or bored, $200 is way way way WAY under priced for this IMO, so don't be surprised if you get somewhat of a lack of responses. If I were you I'd add an extra zero to the price and you might have a bit more luck. But honestly, that's a complex friggin' scene.

Who knows though maybe somebody will come through.
Well its only a quick days worth of work, and the geometry itself is far less complex than it seems in the concept. (Edited first post)
Having said that, I hope somebody really is feeling particularly generous. I'd love to offer 2K but for the time we have it just isn't feasible to pay for what would otherwise be a week's worth of work.

I invite you to take a look at the max scene itself. The geometry is very simple (its game quality) and just needs the scene set up to render nice and bright.
It is in fact incredibly straight forward but something I can't do myself given the time it would take to bring myself up to speed.
At the very least if someone can get the scene to render so that is it bright, from this point on, I will do the material work myself. $200 for someone to get the scene nice and bright.

Cheers,
Paul.
Last edited by subspark on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm sure many of you must be rolling in cash. We are not. For what it's worth, I believe paying somebody $200 to at least brighten the scene is extremely generous.
I'm beginning to think that many of you think this is a complete arch viz. job. I assure you it is not.

Bright scene - $200 dollars. You do the math.

Paul.
Last edited by subspark on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wouldn't it just be easy to throw a big emissive sphere in the roof so that the light falls down on the scene? I have a gut feeling my render settings are off. Maxwell doesn't render a bright scene at all. In fact it is extremely dark, despite the light in the roof. Is the scale off? It's set to meters.

Paul.
I misread your requests a bit the first time..I didn't realize it was just for lighting and just some quick preview renders...I thought it needed texture too. My apologies! I was thinking "it'd take a few days just to create quick basic textures at game res for this scene, let alone doing the rendering also!"

Sorry about getting this thread off to somewhat of a bad start!

I am not able to check this out tonight, but hopefully you'll find somebody who can. I think you might have some luck since that is all you need.

p.s. I don't remember if you can change subject titles on your own in this forum, but I might adjust it if I were you, to help things out.. "Quick lighting pass, based on a concept for sci-fi scene - $200 payment" or something along those lines. I think seeing "render" in the title puts it into people's heads that you need a full render..or it may just be me. Also, what game is this for? I've been working as an environment in the games industry for about 4-5 years now.

Best of Luck!
subspark wrote:Wouldn't it just be easy to throw a big emissive sphere in the roof so that the light falls down on the scene? I have a gut feeling my render settings are off. Maxwell doesn't render a bright scene at all. In fact it is extremely dark, despite the light in the roof. Is the scale off? It's set to meters.

Paul.

when i model in maya and export to maxwell, I set the units to Centimeters instead of Meters to get the scale correct. You may need to scale it down to be in centimeter size..unless that's just a maya thing why i have to export like that.
subspark wrote:Wouldn't it just be easy to throw a big emissive sphere in the roof so that the light falls down on the scene? I have a gut feeling my render settings are off. Maxwell doesn't render a bright scene at all. In fact it is extremely dark, despite the light in the roof. Is the scale off? It's set to meters.

Paul.
Yes, I noticed that too. I upped the wattage of the lights to 5000 watts and still no light. It needs to be scale corrected.
$200 dollars may or may not have been too low for throwing a few materials around the place. Forget that. It's now irrelevant.
Moving on, what I need to do is to adjust my scene scale to cm as far as itsallgoode9 has informed me so I'll try that.

I'm surprised that even though the scale is in true proportion to the real world, Maxwell 2 fails to render correctly.

Paul.
Offer is definitely still up. The size of the hall is approximately 105 meters.
Most appreciated Fernando. Your a great help!

Once I have a couple of render previews, we'll discuss payment over email (first post). I'll do the transfer, send you a receipt in exchange for the modified max scene.
Once again, your saving me a big drama. Keep in touch.

Kind regards,
Paul W.
did you actually scale your scene or just change units? I believe different programs deal with that differently. Say you make a cube at 5 units (assume your units are set to meters) if you just set your program's units to cm, it may not be viewed as that once you export. Your cube may be viewed as being 500 cm still (or if that's wrong, whatever the difference between M and CM is) it's just a name difference without being a scale difference. You might have physically scale it by 90% smaller...or multiply it by .10
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]