All posts related to V2
i could need a little help right now...
im working on a big scene, and i would want to cut ram usage by scaling down my textures..

i am using one shared drive across my local network, where all textures are located ( in several locations not in one folder)

now using pack and go, i can get all textures to one directory (and resize them), but when i open the .mxs in the target folder, all paths in studio are still linked to their original locations on my networkdrive.. and not relative to the folder i "packed & go" to.

that is a problem, because even if i define a texture folder when sending jobs via network, maxwell will use the orgiginal texture paths, as long as the network drive is present and the textures still there...

any chance to force using "only" the given alternate folder?

thanks,

Daniel
If you use pack and go in the Rhino plugin, the MXS will not have the old paths contained in it at all - they will all be something relative like textures/some_image.jpg. It should be kind of hard for Maxwell to find the wrong textures if they're not pointed to anywhere in the MXS.
Maybe I'm missing it, but wouldn't this work:

- enable pack & go in the plugin
- set the output path to your target folder
- use Export to Studio and edit your IES lights when it opens
- save the MXS and close Studio
- replace the textures in the target folder with your resized versions
- render final in maxwell.exe

I think in that case, (a) there's no chance of maxwell.exe picking up on your original texture locations, (b) you can adjust IES in Studio, and (c) you can final render with your resized textures. I don't think there's any other way, because afaik, Studio/Maxwell will only search for textures relative to the MXS if they aren't found in the locations which are written into the MXS. So, I guess you can either do as I write above, or else turn off your network drive, so that your original textures are no longer found at render time.
Try using the network render wizard and the 'send textures' button, then define the folder where all textures will be sent from. Even if you only have one computer/no network, it can be used. I think, even if the texture paths still reference their old path, it will use the new defined path.
thanks for you suggestions!

Jd , that's the way i wanted to do it.. but i started to fiddle around with materials in studio after export.. :roll:

..without the final lighting it's hard to get all materials on point.

I guess next time i will(have) to go for a central folder with all textures, which is easy to replace, although not always the prefered method.

I'd be nice if studio had an option to make path relatve or not at "pack & go"...

@Bubba

thanks,

i think this works, but only if the network drive of original paths is not available!

cheers,

Daniel
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]