All posts related to V2
By hyltom
My simple test:

The image with watermark is V2 the other one is V1.7

2mn test
ImageImage

10mn test
ImageImage

Both image was render on the same computer. The scene is provided by NL so i suppose it has been optimized for 1.7(old simball scene) and V2 (simball V2).
I have use this scene has i believe it is the most representative one for the kind of rendering i usually do.

The color does look better in V2 but why does the image have more noise?
After the upgrade condition, now I'm finding that the speed is worst...and most of my material done with V1.7 have to be change in order to work well with V2...

Nice job NL, couldn't have been worst move. I will definitely not upgrade soon.

An very unhappy customer!
Last edited by hyltom on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Brett Morgan
The v2 image looks clearer and more vibrant to me, though I wouldn't go by just a standard simball render but that's me.
By hyltom
Brett Morgan wrote:The v2 image looks clearer and more vibrant to me, though I wouldn't go by just a standard simball render but that's me.
Where does it looks clearer to you? you have to explain me this. Look the dark yellow area...
The problem is that i have run other test on old scene and the result are the same but as i believed that i will get some comment like "your scene are not optimized for V2" from NL team, i don't post them. Now for the simball, NL write that it is a V2 scene so for me it has been optimized.
By Brett Morgan
Well the V2 image looks clearer to me, perhaps its my dusty monitor screen :lol: anyone else think it looks less noisy than the 1.7 render?
By Mattia Sullini
In any case, i can confirm that all your materials need a deep revision.
All of them in v2 look way too much reflective.
It's very sad, since they were almost perfect...
As far as i've learnt until now, v2 speed improvement varies a lot depending on the several material and light conditions, then this could be one of the case where the improvement is less noticeable :)
By alexxx_95
No no Hyltom are right, the V2 version has more noise than the 1.7. Look at the floor plane... much much noise ,especially in the 2min stage... :(
By hyltom
Fernando Tella wrote:Additive material? I read from Tom they don't convert very well.
Their is no material conversion here...well at least not from me. I just use the whole scene (geometry and material) provided by NL.
For those that are not convince about noise difference, i have made a gif animation. The noise quality is worst but still can see difference between V1.7 and V2
The problem here is that I'm not talking about same amount of noise or less noise in V2 but that V1.7 have less noise which is completely at the opposite of the all the test shown by NL.

By Tea_Bag
Could this visual "noise problem" be due to v1.7 colours being saturated hiding some of the noise compared to V2!? I bet if a general poll was done asking if maxwell V2 is faster yes would get most of the votes! I've noticed a speed difference! its a speed improvement that varies from scene to scene!
By jurX
Yes it is faster,..definitely (except in some cases of SSS)
In this Scene MWV2 is about 3 SL faster and the geometry smoothing angles look much better.

Geometry:
- Num Meshes: 209
- Num Triangles: 11251900
- Num Vertexes: 5675896
- Num Normals: 5665922

MaxwellRender 1.7.1 64bit

SL:10.66
Benchmark:107.45
Rendertime:20min

MaxwellRender 2.0 Golden Master 64bit

SL:13.68
Benchmark:368.35
Rendertime:20min

cu jurX
By big K
Could this visual "noise problem" be due to v1.7 colours being saturated hiding some of the noise compared to V2!?
have a look at the noise on the ground plane !

hyltom maybe you could post some of your other tests. that would be interesting.
maybe someone from NL or the testers could optimize one scene for you and we will see how fast they could be with optimization?
By Richard
I would have bet an upgrade that the simball would be the currently most optimised V2 scene out there!

Question? From all this talk about optimising scenes, I thought we already had to do that with V1.7 - AGS, single plane emitters, lots of non-physically correct light panels to flood a scene? Can we assume the speed gains of most V2 scenes come from further non-physically correct trickery to gain the speed?
By shen.de
Richard wrote:lots of non-physically correct light panels to flood a scene?
never had to do such things... strange :roll:

of course there are some things you should know to cut down rendertimes... but really faking something isn't neccessary I think...
By hyltom
Richard wrote:I would have bet an upgrade that the simball would be the currently most optimised V2 scene out there!
Yes exactly, this was my thought too. When I saw some test done by NL during the V2 development, i really believed that i can get a very important speed increase. So now I'm very surprise and disappointed by the result of my test.
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]