All posts related to V2
By Mihai
Gathering here questions and replies from the different threads before the V2 forum becomes the Maxwell license forum :)
If there are any more unclear points, please post in this thread not a new thread. Please see the FAQ on the main site regarding licensing, upgrades, installing licenses etc: http://www.maxwellrender.com/mw2_faq.php

Q:
I have 3 computers. In the past I would export from my plugin, tweak in mxstudio and send to Mxcl. While it was rendering I would repeat the process on the next computer, then do the same on the last machine. If i understand the current licensing requirements i will have to upgrade 3 licenses ($1,185) to be able to do this? Just trying to understand.

Also, if i convert one of my licenses to a node license, can i put that one node license on several computers?
A:
From what it sounds like you did in the past you should be able to do all the tweaking in studio and exporting on one machine. The other two would be nodes that you send render jobs to. Of course they all need to be networked together for this to work. So if I understand you correctly you would need to upgrade one standard license and then have two nodes either by downgrading two standard license to a node at a discount or buy two nodes at full price. How you go about that depends on what your current license setup is for 1.7. Hope that helps.

Also from what I understand there is only one license file that contains how many nodes/standard licenses you are allowed. So the same license would be put on all three machines. As long as you have studio running on only one machine at a time you should be able to launch it from any 3 of your computers. With 1 standard and 2 node privelages in your license file you can have a rendering running in the background on all 3 machines.

You can put one node license on several computers but only one will be able to render at a time.
Q:
Do I and all other original patrons who purchased the earliest pre-release of Maxwell have to buy this upgrade?
A:
Q:
Can I sell my Maxwell license?
A:
Q:
We have 16+0 licenses. Actually we need 2 full licenses and 4 rendernodes. Is it possible to upgrade the other 10 licenses later, say in one or two years?
A:
Yes, you will be able to upgrade them later, at any time, even after 1 or 2 years.
Q:
Is there any upgrade programme for educational licenses?
A:
Yes. http://www.maxwellrender.com/mw2_price_list.php
More FAQs regarding Educational licenses are on the FAQ page, http://www.maxwellrender.com/mw2_faq.php
Q:
Is there an educational render node?
A:
No, there isn´t a specific Educational Rendernode license - or price. Educational licenses act as Standard licenses and already have a reduced price.
By Bige
There was still one thing about the educational license that remains unclear: is there an educational render node? Judging by the price list there probably is not but still one can always ask right?
By nicole
Hi,
As you guessed, there isn´t a specific Educational Rendernode license - or price. Educational licenses act as Standard licenses and already have a reduced price.

Nicole
By m-Que
Just a couple of questions on Educational license:
- is V2 EDU time limited (that means valid for one year) or unlimited (like 1.x)?
- After upgrading to V2 do EDU users get a free 2.x updates (like with 1.x)?
Cause Maxwell Render V2 Educational Program says:
An educational license does not grant you free upgrades to newer versions of Maxwell Render. When a new
major version of Maxwell Render is released you will need to buy an upgrade if you wish to use the latest
release version (and are still eligible for the educational program).

Thanks
By JTB
gotoxy av-media wrote:yes, i want to know this too, but my post was deleted!

are pointreleases free until 3.0? (edu or not)

thx
munch
+1000000 (I guess)
By AndreD
JTB wrote:
gotoxy av-media wrote:yes, i want to know this too, but my post was deleted!

are pointreleases free until 3.0? (edu or not)

thx
munch
+1000000 (I guess)
It´s JUST a number :lol:
By dmeyer
So i got a 1+1 license as a free upgrade for purchasing more seats after 2.0 was announced.

I then upgraded the rest of our seats, resulting in an additional license file.

Tech support tells me that the license files are "accumulative" and that maxwell will read them all from multiple txt files in the directory. They will not send a single, unified txt file containing all licenses.

Can you tell me how to set this up properly? I cannot obviously have 2 license.txt files in one directory. Renaming them license1.txt and license2.txt results in maxwell not seeing any of them. I cannot select multiple files in the license selector in the help menu, and when pasting both license info paragraphs sequentially into one license.txt file, only the second license paragraph is accounted for.
By nachob
dmeyer wrote: Can you tell me how to set this up properly? I cannot obviously have 2 license.txt files in one directory. Renaming them license1.txt and license2.txt results in maxwell not seeing any of them. I cannot select multiple files in the license selector in the help menu, and when pasting both license info paragraphs sequentially into one license.txt file, only the second license paragraph is accounted for.
Hi dmeyer,

The way to ship it in v2 is using each license file in the number of computers the license.txt contains license for. E.g.-If you have two license.txt that contains 1 license each, install one license.txt in one computer and the other license.txt in another computer. If one of the license.txt contains two licenses and the other one, you can install the first license in two different computers and the second in a third computer.

In maxwell v1.x having different license.txt installed in computers of the same network was not possible. Now in v2 any number of license.txt can be used. You can buy an extra single license to install in your company computers without the need of waiting for us to generate the unified license.

Hope it helps,

nachob
By dmeyer
nachob wrote:
dmeyer wrote: Can you tell me how to set this up properly? I cannot obviously have 2 license.txt files in one directory. Renaming them license1.txt and license2.txt results in maxwell not seeing any of them. I cannot select multiple files in the license selector in the help menu, and when pasting both license info paragraphs sequentially into one license.txt file, only the second license paragraph is accounted for.
Hi dmeyer,

The way to ship it in v2 is using each license file in the number of computers the license.txt contains license for. E.g.-If you have two license.txt that contains 1 license each, install one license.txt in one computer and the other license.txt in another computer. If one of the license.txt contains two licenses and the other one, you can install the first license in two different computers and the second in a third computer.

In maxwell v1.x having different license.txt installed in computers of the same network was not possible. Now in v2 any number of license.txt can be used. You can buy an extra single license to install in your company computers without the need of waiting for us to generate the unified license.

Hope it helps,

nachob
Thanks nachob, that makes sense. However, is it even an option to get one unified license? I manage a fair number of machines and prefer to do installs in batch. Multiple license files adds complexity...one more thing to track.
By nachob
dmeyer wrote: Thanks nachob, that makes sense. However, is it even an option to get one unified license? I manage a fair number of machines and prefer to do installs in batch. Multiple license files adds complexity...one more thing to track.
I can understand that problem, but the opposite was also a problem in many other situations. Anyway, I think you could make this same question to our sales department through your gateway account, may be they can find a solution to your problem, and if not, it's a very good feedback for future updates/versions.

Thanks a lot,

nachob
By camel
I was wondering what if you have a mainboard with multiple cpu support..

so you have 2x quad core or something even more.
From what i can read, one license would be enough?

from the FAQ:
Can I use my license on a dual or quad core machine?
Yes, Maxwell Render licenses work per machine and do not have core limitations.
so even 4x 6-core machine.. would require only one license?

(i ask this because our company can takeover/buy a small renderfarm from our "sister-company".
But maybe if above is possible, im better off buying 1 or 2 evil render 4x6core beasts :)
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]