All posts related to V2
By RenderFred
Another point that is not understood by everyone:

- you must send a "MyScene.vum" file.

Not a "MyScene.zip" file. Not a "MyScene.7z" file. Not even a "MyScene.vum.zip" file. :wink:

It is clearly explained page 5 of the RUG, section #5.
By RenderFred
There is a new version of the RUG (v0.7) on the RANCH for Maxwell website.

- added precisions on scene preparation, mistakes to avoid, format to use etc.
- added a section (7-C) to prevent the 'my ftp user name/password doesn't work' common mistake

+ various small additions here and there.

Cheers

Fred
By Mattia Sullini
:? Fred, i tried several times even by typing the keys one by one, but no way to let it work. I am trying to access the ftp server from a macbookpro, via the default OSX system ftp client...nobody else had this problem?
By RenderFred
Mattia Sullini wrote::? Fred, i tried several times even by typing the keys one by one, but no way to let it work. I am trying to access the ftp server from a macbookpro, via the default OSX system ftp client...nobody else had this problem?
Mattia,
I just connected with your download info, and it works fine, so it must be your system or a mistake :?:
By Mattia Sullini
I guess there is something going wrong with the default ftp client (or with me using it...). I tried to use another client and evrything went fine. Could you please verify if any other mac user had the same problems i got using the default client? If so, you should then point this out in the guide, i guess.
By RenderFred
Mattia Sullini wrote:I guess there is something going wrong with the default ftp client (or with me using it...). I tried to use another client and evrything went fine. Could you please verify if any other mac user had the same problems i got using the default client? If so, you should then point this out in the guide, i guess.
For the moment, no other Mac user has reported such a problem, but if a Mac user reads this maybe he can try to redownload the project he has already downloaded, but this time with the default client and report if it works...
By lllab
hi Renderfred,

your fram seems nice. do u have a 3gb switch on you machines?
that woul be essential for me as my pcs do use that with maxwell and mostly wouls not render without the 3gb switch.

it is also usefull fro pcs with less then 3gb physical memory.

another suggestion:
please veryify the userstatus with nextlimit when registering, or before rendering.
so no time is wasted.

cheers
stefan
By RenderFred
lllab wrote:hi Renderfred,

your fram seems nice. do u have a 3gb switch on you machines?
that woul be essential for me as my pcs do use that with maxwell and mostly wouls not render without the 3gb switch.

it is also usefull fro pcs with less then 3gb physical memory.

another suggestion:
please veryify the userstatus with nextlimit when registering, or before rendering.
so no time is wasted.

cheers
stefan
Hi,
No there is no 3gb switch. It is essentially a hack that can be useful in some cases but can cause harm in others, doesn't work with all apps, and is _not_useful at all when you have 2 GB ram or less. Clearly this is not something we will do, all the more because we are running under XP64. However as indicated previously, we will increase the nodes memory and switch to the 64-bit version of Maxwell when:
- the demand justifies it
- performance issues with the 64-bit version of Maxwell are resolved.

About verifying the user status when registering, Next Limit can only do that during their business hours, which are 08:30 and 18:00. And there are also technical reasons to proceed like we do now. Anyway it is only needed for the first project, so I believe it's not a big deal.
Last edited by RenderFred on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
By RenderFred
I just wanted to let you know that we have decided to let the public beta-test run until next friday, August 24th, 18:00 (GMT+1). So you have until then to send projects and try the farm for free.

If all goes well, the RANCH will enter production next monday, August 27, 08:00 GMT+1.
By lllab
hi renderfred,
sad to hear, so i cant use your system:-(

the 3gb switch is a hack by MS itself and works perfect for apps that support it like Maxwell does(dont know if vue does though).

it DOES make a huge difference also with 2gb of ohysical ram by the way. that is often a mistake many think. it enables the app to use more ram, ca.1.9 instead of 1.6, either physical and/or virtual.

therefore a scene can render nice and fast on a 2gb machine with 3gb switch enabled. i have 6 quadcore2 xeons here and one octomacpro, and they all are working perfect with the 3gb switch with scenes that would work or would be slow on a non 3gb switch machine.

64 bit will of course help, but it can take some time until that will be.
cheers
stefan
By RenderFred
lllab wrote: 64 bit will of course help, but it can take some time until that will be.
cheers
stefan
We really hope it won't be that long :D
By mouse
Sorry Fred just curios...but it's possible to set the idcpu in the mxs file to merge two, or more mxi's? I've tried this function but Maxwell recognized the mxi's with the same seed :?
By RenderFred
mouse wrote:Sorry Fred just curios...but it's possible to set the idcpu in the mxs file to merge two, or more mxi's? I've tried this function but Maxwell recognized the mxi's with the same seed :?
It's not possible, because the MXI you download from the Ranch is already a merged MXI from many nodes.
By mouse
so your system overwrite the settings in the mxs or if I put a idcpu like 1526544226 ( :lol: ) I can get a different seem? Sorry for this!
By RenderFred
mouse wrote:so your system overwrite the settings in the mxs or if I put a idcpu like 1526544226 ( :lol: ) I can get a different seem? Sorry for this!
Each node on the Ranch has its own idcpu which overrides the one in the scene. At the end all the MXIs from the nodes are automatically gathered and merged into the final MXI you get.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]