By TZORG
If I import some .obj or .dae to C4D, remove Normal tags, add a Maxwell scene, and export to MXST (i.e. this is what I usually do), I can't turn off physical sky lighting within Studio. If I set "Type" to "None," no sky will be rendered, but the sun lighting is still there (even if I uncheck Atmosphere/Sun before turning Type to None). I've had luck turning it off, saving the MXS, exiting Studio, and reloading Studio and the MXS.

Within the C4D Maxwell scene object I can turn off the sun, and render without it. Just kind of odd that I can't change my mind once I'm in Studio.

Thanks for any thoughts...
By JDHill
I'm not able to confirm this; is it possible that Studio is unable to create or access the output file for some reason?
By TZORG
hm. I kinda doubt it because usually when that happens (e.g. if Studio cannot save the file), Render will start working on the last version that was saved, unaware there was a problem.

In this case changes are reflected (notably to the background, such as if you're trying to use an IBL), except that the sun's light remains.
By JDHill
That's what I figured might have been happening, but if you're changing other things and they're being reflected in the render, then yes, it would not be an mxs-overwriting problem. You are using 1.7.1, correct? I looked through the bug reports and I don't see anything about this there, so I'm still not sure what might be happening. Can you disable the sun if you leave the environment set to Physical Sky?
By TZORG
Hm, bizarre. Here's basically what I did:

With Physical Sky, verified that turning Sun on and off works.
Without turning Sun back on, went to Type=None: I got sunlight (not skylight).
With a green Sky Dome, verified that turning Sun on and off works.
Leaving it off, going back to Type=None now works somehow (pitch black).
Go back to Physical Sky with Sun on = works
Go back to Type=None without turning Sun off = works (pitch black)

So it seems that somewhere I corrected the problem without exiting Studio.

And the problem is just the Sun light, not the whole physical sky's light.

And yes, it's 1.7.1
By JDHill
Since I can't duplicate it here, and because I am only involved in coding the plugin (I don't have anything to do with Studio, so I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to diagnosing problems there), I'd suggest that you might want to bring up the issue in the main Maxwell forum and see if anyone else has observed this.
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]