By TZORG
Hi,

I had a couple of objects in the C4D demo, created a Maxwell scene object, and exported as a scene file. In Maxwell, the objects render black in a physical sky. The color is at least partly corrected if I change the materials from 0 to 100% roughness. But the geometry is a bit like a checkerboard with black polys, like there's something I should have done in C4D to it, perhaps. It looks like it's already made of triangles though.

I hope I'm missing something that's easy to fix?

Thanks for any thoughts.

TZORG
By JDHill
Could you post an image? The Cinema demo prevents the plugin from exporting procedural textures when it automatically translates Cinema materials; maybe it is related to that?
By macray
sometimes i get such models with lots of black triangles when exporting from MoI (via Obj. file format) to cinema and rendering in Maxwell. this is because of the "normalizing" of the polygons.

When deleting the normal tag everything is fine in maxwell. Could you check what kind of tags these objects use?
By JDHill
I was alerted to this awhile ago, and the solution is for the plugin to simply ignore those 'normal' tags during export. The technical reason why they cause a problem is not yet known to me.
By TZORG
Thanks! It seems I had two problems. Removing the Normal tags got rid of the black polys.

The black appearance seems to be caused by C4D giving materials the Basic Properties of "Color" and "Transparency" instead of "Color" and "Specular" which seems to be the default for a new material. This was with COLLADA import... With an obj import there was no problem (but no textures applied to the material zones).

However, changing Color/Transparency to Color/Specular seems more destructive than changing the materials to lambertian within MXST. (No doubt you can do it within C4D also, I'm just not there yet)

Thanks again.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]