By adri
I'm trying to import MW mats into C4D and then delete the ones that I don't use much so that there aren't so many in the file. I'd like to go through the 1500 or so MXMs and select say the top 500 and have them in a file already for whatever geometry I bring in.

Trouble is that C4D becomes very very slow and unresponsive when I've got more than say 20 MW mats imported.

Anyone else got this problem? Is there a solution? it's a non runner if C4D becomes as slow as this...

TIA

Adri
By Becco_UK
I prefered the old tag style - other people wanted fancy looking tags and now Cinemas' interface slows down.

I hope the original tag system returns in future updates so that users can decide which method suits their particular workflow.
By PatSieb
yes, i got the same problem here and its not funny to work like this! :(
hope this will be improved very soon in the next cinemaxwell update!
i use xp64 and c4d 10.1.

otherwise, NL done a very good job with the new cinemaxwell!
adri wrote:I'm trying to import MW mats into C4D and then delete the ones that I don't use much so that there aren't so many in the file. I'd like to go through the 1500 or so MXMs and select say the top 500 and have them in a file already for whatever geometry I bring in.

Trouble is that C4D becomes very very slow and unresponsive when I've got more than say 20 MW mats imported.

Anyone else got this problem? Is there a solution? it's a non runner if C4D becomes as slow as this...

TIA

Adri
Hello Adri,

I will need some more information. Please let me know if you are experiencing slow downs when importing 20 materials from MXM to C4D, or you have a general UI slowdown in C4D when you have 20 Maxwell Materials loaded into C4D.

Also I need to know the types of image maps these materials have that you have imported as Maxwell Materials.

Thanks!
Last edited by Tyrone Marshall on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Tyrone Marshall
I cannot confirm any slowdowns yet. I first created one generic default maxwell material. I then duplicated this material 19 times, so I now had 20 materials total with unique file names. I imported 20 generic default maxwell materials into C4D and noticed no slowdowns in import or after import in C4D.

As a second test, I created a maxwell material with a 34 mb image texture in both the reflectance 0 and bump map channel (bump map at level 100)
I duplicated this material 19 times for 20 unique file names and imported an additional 20 maxwell materials into C4D. I noticed no slow down again on import or after import.

By adri
Tyrone,

Thanks for replying.

I am trying to use Maxwell MXMs downloaded from the Gallery Page. There's alot of them I agree and I have over 1500. Eventually I've managed to import all of them into C4D (Version 10.1) but it does slow down the interface considerably. Given that the resulting C4D file is only 9 MB it seems strange that C4D should start to crawl...

The reason why I want to import them all into a single C4D file is so that I can then browse them easily and choose the ones I want to then copy and paste into a different scene file.

I suspect that your test is not quite the same as my setup. If you import lots of instances of the same MXM that is not going to have the same effect of importing many different ones.

Please try importing lots of different MXMs and I think you might see the slowdown.

My platform is C4D 10.1 on a PC. Dual Processor with 2 GIG RAM.

TIA

Adri
By PatSieb
hi Tyrone,

i think i have the same problem as adri.
when i import just 5 maxwell materials in c4d the general UI of c4d slowdown.
by deleting thees materials everything is normal again.
if i try to import more maxwell materials in c4d than the UI gets slower and slower!

so, this is quit strang? :roll:
By Tyrone Marshall
adri wrote:Tyrone,

Thanks for replying.

I am trying to use Maxwell MXMs downloaded from the Gallery Page. There's alot of them I agree and I have over 1500. Eventually I've managed to import all of them into C4D (Version 10.1) but it does slow down the interface considerably. Given that the resulting C4D file is only 9 MB it seems strange that C4D should start to crawl...

The reason why I want to import them all into a single C4D file is so that I can then browse them easily and choose the ones I want to then copy and paste into a different scene file.

I suspect that your test is not quite the same as my setup. If you import lots of instances of the same MXM that is not going to have the same effect of importing many different ones.

Please try importing lots of different MXMs and I think you might see the slowdown.

My platform is C4D 10.1 on a PC. Dual Processor with 2 GIG RAM.

TIA

Adri
Hello Adri,

If you are importing 1500 materials, then that is the problem. The plugin has notes in the readme.txt file that state this may be a limitation on some computers because of memory.

Please note the faq state:

[Q003] I have a large Maxwell Render material library that I want to convert over to Cinema 4D Maxwell Render Materials, how should I do this?

[A003] The new Cinemaxwell Plug-in has been updated with a new plug-in to convert your Maxwell Render Materials to Cinema 4D Maxwell Render Materials. You can do this by going to the plug-in menu in Cinema 4D and selecting the plug-in "Import Maxwell Materials." You will see a popup for the directory of materials to convert. Please remember the following:

Large material databases (i.e. example 1000 Maxwell Render Materials) require time and memory to convert and display the material thumbnails in Cinema 4D.

For this case, convert your materials in smaller batches, as when the process is done, all converted materials will show up in Cinema 4D's material manager. So if you do 2000 materials conversions in one go, you have to make sure you have the hardware and resources to display 2000 materials in Cinema 4D at one time.
Last edited by Tyrone Marshall on Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Tyrone Marshall
PatSieb wrote:hi Tyrone,

i think i have the same problem as adri.
when i import just 5 maxwell materials in c4d the general UI of c4d slowdown.
by deleting thees materials everything is normal again.
if i try to import more maxwell materials in c4d than the UI gets slower and slower!

so, this is quit strang? :roll:
Hello Pat,

Can you post your scene so I can check it?
By PatSieb
Tyrone,
there is no scene! i only import 20 mxm in c4d and it slowdown.

here is a screenshot:

I use xp64 on pc dual xeon 4gb ram and C4D 10.1 (32bit or 64bit)
By Becco_UK
It is not possible to solve Cinema plugin problems by deleting posts that describe the problem - for the third time, there is slowdown to my Cinema interface when Maxwell Mxm previews are present.

The slowdown is most noticabe when changing viewports or scrolling within the object maanger. Workflow is being hindered.

Reverting back to the older plugin solves the slowdown which proves there is another problem with the plugin.
By Becco_UK

Example of mxm previews which cause significant slowdown to the Cinema interface including excessive screendraw times and poor scrolling within the object manager.

No problem with the older 1.5 plugin.

Looks to be a memory leak too but I will start another thread about that later once I confirm it.
By adri
Tyrone,

As I said in my earlier posting the interface slows down when dealing with a relatively small number of MXMs.

The fact that after I've managed to 'import' all my MXMs (1500+) and that the resulting C4D file is only 9.3 Megabytes suggests that what the plugin is doing is storing path information and not importing all the textures etc. I may be entirely wrong but that sounds about the right way to go about the problem but for the slowing down of the C4D interface.

I would have thought that the developer of the plugin could run the same tests as the contributors to this thread have done in order to locate the problem and fix it.

HTH

Adri
By Becco_UK
Maximus3D: You are indeed fortunate to have escaped this proven problem. Seems as though an increasing number of Cinema users do have interface slowdown with the 1.6 plugin.

I have had to revert back to a 1.5 plugin and now my Cinema interface is as responsive as ever :D
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]