By macray
What do I have to do to get glass materials?

now that the easy-way dielectrics don't exist anymore - what is the base to start a good looking glass for a water bottle?
By Tyrone Marshall
macray wrote:What do I have to do to get glass materials?

now that the easy-way dielectrics don't exist anymore - what is the base to start a good looking glass for a water bottle?
Hello Macray,

You can still access dielectrics using the material editor wizard to quickly get standard glass or AGS.

Just create a new maxwell material. Then click on "Start material editor". Then use the "Wizards" to have an instant MXM of "AGS", "GLASS - low grade" or "GLASS - high grade".
By macray
ah.. that's something I never used and just once had a look at. Just didn't remind it anymore. Thanks.

My problem is here:
I modelled this bottle and it looks good. But the bump/displacement works on both faces of the bottle. The inside and the outside. Is there a way to restrict the bump as it gives me a strange look? (perhaps a polygon selection is my solution - but will it work with 2 different types of glass?

http://pics.livejournal.com/macray/pic/000fqrpx
By Becco_UK
Have you tried making polygon selections and using different Cinema materials for the inner and outer surfaces of your object. Of course, this method assumes that the Cinema 'glass' materials will be properly interpreted by Maxwell.

Just my personal opinion - but try to avoid using ags wherever possible - it just don't look good to me!
By macray
this is Cinema glass, no AGS. I tried Displacement, but then strange things happen and phong tags are ignored.

When using polygon selection and applying 2 glass materials that only differ in the displacement/bump channel the one with the bump seems to be ignored.

still testing around.
By Tyrone Marshall
macray wrote:this is Cinema glass, no AGS. I tried Displacement, but then strange things happen and phong tags are ignored.

When using polygon selection and applying 2 glass materials that only differ in the displacement/bump channel the one with the bump seems to be ignored.

still testing around.
Hello Macray,

If I understand your scene, it is one layer thick? Does the glass bottle have thickness?

If it is only one layer thick then you could setup a MXM that uses an alpha map (black and white map) to mask which areas are to have text and which do not.

I did an example with a object with thickness.

I setup a scene with a tube object. I then made it an editable polygon object.

Then I went into Bodypaint, mapped the object with a UV map using cubic mapping so I could place the text only on the outside polygon faces and placed some text on the outer polygons on the side.

I then created a MXM material. I made it glass. I added the text image from Bodypaint to the displacement channel.

I only got text on the one side of the outer polygons.
By Kabe
macray wrote:My problem is here:
I modelled this bottle and it looks good. But the bump/displacement works on both faces of the bottle. The inside and the outside. Is there a way to restrict the bump as it gives me a strange look? (perhaps a polygon selection is my solution - but will it work with 2 different types of glass?
I would suggest to clean up the UV-Map of your bottle (nice model btw!)
That was you would easily allow to apply the bump only where you want it.

Kabe
By macray
I've found a way to do it with displacement via a modified dielectric.

The glass has thickness. The outer polygons have the displacement applied, the inner polygons the same (maxwell) material without the displacement channel.

Thanks for the help.

I you want - you can get the mxs or even the c4d with textures.

I'll not be surprised to find that NL is done by n[…]

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]