By DreamCatcher
Hi Everyone,

I bought Maxwell in the Alpha-stage, did some pleasing testrenders on PC using Lightwave, and followed some threads on the forum when I had the time.

Now I switched to Mac.

What I use:
- iMac 24" / 2.33 GHz Intel Core2Duo / 2Gb RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
- Modo 202 for modeling
- Lightwave 9 for scene setup and/or model checking before going to Maxwell
- Maxwell 1.1 UB version for rendering (I hope)

Problematic workflow example:
- Model something simple in Modo (not even SubD - but multiple layers)
- Export as LWO
- Check it in LW Modeler and 'triple' it.
- Import in 'mxstudio' and... NOTHING!!! "0 objects in scene"

If I try to save an 'mxs'-scene from within Lightwave I always get errors; although I tripled every polygon and checked for 1-point polygons...

I've tried exporting from Lightwave as DXF too. I only get 1 layer from the LWO, and that one is OK.

If I export from Modo as "Wavefront OBJ", I get 'some' geometry but very messy and nothing like the original.

Now that I've got this great Mac, I really want to start using Maxwell 1.1 UB and all this is really disappointing. Please Help!

Thanks a lot in advance...
By Hervé
I am not sure but the problem might come from LW9... I have the same setup (except on PC) modo>LW>Maxwell... and it works wonderful... try not using multiple layers, but single objects.. better for the moment...

a new LW plugin is in the oven... :wink:
By DreamCatcher
Thanks a lot.

I hope it's a quick oven...
By Hervé
microwave oven... :wink:
By yazan
First step is Clean up.

BasicallyUnhide all polygons, all 0,1,2 point polygons get deleted. Merge points that are in the same point in space and unify polygons, (By the way, there is a mesh clean up script on VM by Seneca)

Second, cycle through the materials and select each different material's polygons and set part names with the same name to the different surfaces, this is how maxwell will see the different surfaces.

Then selects all SDS polygons and freezes them with default freeze settings.

Then triples everything

Then exports as Maya Obj

This has reproduced consistent results for me when imported in studio. Let me know what happens.

Yazan
By DreamCatcher
Thanks a lot Yazan. I'll try that workflow as soon as possible!
By Nigel Baker
Hi Dream Catcher,

Is this now working for you?
If not let me know and I will have a look at it?

Regards,
Nigel.
By Brett Morgan
Thanks for the workflow info yazan, I go straight from modo to maxwell studio, and i tried saving to lwo from modo but always the faces are only half there, is this a modo thing or a studio thing that will be fixed in the future?

Cheers

Brett
By Tim Ellis
Brett Morgan wrote:Thanks for the workflow info yazan, I go straight from modo to maxwell studio, and i tried saving to lwo from modo but always the faces are only half there, is this a modo thing or a studio thing that will be fixed in the future?

Cheers

Brett
It's due to non-tripled mesh objects. For some reason when MXST imports an LWO that is made with quads, it triples the mesh but only creates half of the faces. Triple the mesh in LWO or Modo before export and delete any non-planars and 1,2 point polys.

Tim.
By Brett Morgan
Thanks for the info tim, i will have a look at it.

Cheers

Brett
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]