By glebe digital
Hi fellow Lightwavers, Just wondering who's using v9 in production already...........I've got some big projects coming through in late July/August, was wondering if I should wait till they're 'out the door' before I try and put v9 in the workflow?

1. Will it screw my dongle for v8.5? [in case I need to go back]
2. Anyone got serious bug issues hampering workflow?
3. Will it mean major buggeration for old 8.5 scenes?

I've got it running on my old P4 [for testing] and it seems fine, but you know how it is..........running a big job is a different story....

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)
By WillMartin
Sorry, I'm still 8.3 (I was too scared to even go up to 8.5 from some of the things I heard). I'm interested to hear what others here will say about v9. Is it really as completely revolutionary as the flyers they've been sending me would lead me to believe?
By hdesbois
Hi,
Just installed it. Working fine, no dongle issue so far, still have 8.5, both working. I've not used it a lot so far, but new camera types seem nice, as well as nodal texturing. Unfortunately, Fprime does not work with nodal. It's also the first time that I try a 64 bit LW (I use dual boot XP/XP64): I'm rather pleased with the way it handles large scene. Rendering is lightning fast with the Star destroyer scene, for instance. Now we need 64 bit Maxwell with 64 bit plugin.
HD
By glebe digital
Thanks Henri, glad to hear I'll still be able to run 8.5 if things get sticky. :)
Maybe I'll load it up tomorrow.......
By SaT
Yes, the new version of LightWave is really great and runs fine. I hope Next Limit will release the new plugin for Maxwell Render/LightWave 3D 9 soon. :wink:
By Voidmonster
I've been using it since the first public beta... Wow, it's come a long way!

It should be completely safe to install. I've occasionally had to go back to 8.5, and it presented no problems at all.

Gotta say, 9 is well worth it just for the CC sub-ds.

As for the Maxwell plugin, I really don't see what could be updated for 9. The current version works perfectly.
By Nigel Baker
Yes Glebe,

I have been using LW9 also since the Beta.
Really good.
By kirkt
I've been using it in beta (OSX 10.4.X, Dual IGHz G4) - it started crashing about beta 6 or 7 when I textured models that were extruded/lathed. I think it had something to do with OSX and the nVidia drivers for my older, ADC Cinema Display. The issue never seemsed to get resolved. I have not tried since, been sticking to 8.5. However, I recently purchased a MacBook Pro (15") and tried to run LW on it - neither 8.5 nor 9 (Master release) even launch. I have to try 9 on my PPC Macs. Is FPrime still an issue? I assume there has been no fix for this and I have not checked Worley's site to see what he has cooking.

Anyone sucessfully running LW on a MacBook Pro? I installed 8.5 from the install CD and the dongle was recognzed, etc. The app just did not want to launch. 9 I downloaded and same result. Blender it is then - they just came out with an update (a major one)and it is universal.
By glebe digital
Voidmonster wrote: Gotta say, 9 is well worth it just for the CC sub-ds.
Yeah, I've been fiddling with it on the P4 and I love the CC already. :)

Thanx everyone for the green light.........I'm loading up tomorrow. :wink:
By lopatam
used since beta ,great opengl speed .Use it .CC are very usefull.Modeler is very stable .
By RonB
Hey, I know what Sub D's are, but what are CC Sub D's, is that ah...more than 4 point polys sub divided?

Thanks, Ron
By Voidmonster
RonB wrote:Hey, I know what Sub D's are, but what are CC Sub D's, is that ah...more than 4 point polys sub divided?
Exactly. There's more to it, though. It smoothes surfaces differently. Sometimes it's better at avoiding creasing. It has better edge-weighting features, too. It generates a lot more polys per sub-d level.
By kirkt
RonB wrote:Hey, I know what Sub D's are, but what are CC Sub D's, is that ah...more than 4 point polys sub divided?

Thanks, Ron
Google "Catmull-Clark subdivision"
By glebe digital
Well it's installed and for what it's worth, 9 is a real screamer! :lol:
Just loaded a new airport terminal design [I mean the whole freakin' shebang, inside and out] plus 5km sqr high-poly site terrain, plus roads, light gantries, street signage, kerbs, you name it......all into one .lwo and it's eaten it for breakfast...........what a monster! :shock:

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]