By RonB
This is the kind of descriptions of problems that need to be talked about clearly. Not just, "it's not working as good as....". To get the plugin to function properly NL, and Victor in particular, need to know what to work on. We can't just say, "The whole GD thing isn't working, make it better!" Piece by piece is the way it's going to happen. Like I said earlier, the plugin IS being worked on NOW. The more we can talk about specific functions that need attention the better for NL and us too. Like glebe said it's at V.10 and will get better.

Mark, you seem to know something about writing code, so maybe you are better equiped to point out specificly what you think needs to be addressed in a logical manner. Hopefully Victor is reading this and will chime in, if not I'll send him a PM and ask him to. What do you think about that?

Ron
By markps
Ok

MXM files are getting lost when assigned.. And even if it shows up correctly as a material most of them if not all are not rendering when you hit render.

Victor had asked me to describe exactly when this is happening... well. I begin with a fresh install. make a cube and a sphere (basic geometries). One triangulated and one not, all basic. Assign the same material to all of them. And everything renders in white clay.

Since now we don't need to triangulate anyomore.. For me this is the only bug left (besides the ocasional crashes) and if this was solved it would change everything...

I don't think we need any texture sppport on the lightwave surface channels it can even be ignored. As long as we can assign MXM materials to surfaces everything else works just fine!
By glebe digital
markps wrote:I don't think we need any texture sppport on the lightwave surface channels it can even be ignored. As long as we can assign MXM materials to surfaces everything else works just fine!
Yeah I agree, I found that just plain confusing. :oops:
By CJElven
I have to agree with a little bit of everything here. It WOULD be nice if the Maxwell plugin created results with the same ease as LW's renderer, and I hope that it will someday, but for now, I just get on as well as I can.

However, I would like to address the comment about "It's only V 1.0". This is a crap argument. Perhaps we caused the problem, but it's quite obvious that V 1.0 is really V 0.8 or so. At the V 1.0 stage, you shouldn't have to release massive fixes right away so that people can use it. V 1.0 should mean that your program works, and in general, darned well. Unfortunately, we didn't really see that for a month or two. It's just now starting to be useable by everyone. V 1.0 means that the bug list should be "I did these three things and this crashed...but only when I do these three things and then this"...not "I clicked on 'Open' and my computer exploded". V 1.0 should be a finished product. If they had released one really great, fully functional plug-in for Max or LW, or Rhino, or whatever, then that would have been a V 1.0 plugin...hopefully with other V 1.0 plugins to follow. But they released a lot of 0.7-0.9 plugins, and have worked most of them up to 0.93...with the possible exception of LW, which seems to be stuck around 0.88 (In case anyone is wondering, these are totally arbitrary numbers, based on my own opinion of how close the various plugins SEEM to be to completion).

That said, I think that MR has limitless potential. I've seen some of the images that people have been able to turn out, and I am awed. However, EVERYONE should be able to turn out a fully mapped and materialed picture with no problem. That's kinda the hallmark of a "V1.0" graphics program. The level of realism should be what sets the "pros" apart...not their ability to complete the work despite the program.

EDIT: I realize that I said you shouldn't have to release massive fixes right away to make something work. I should have stated "Unless you are Microsoft, a videa game company, or both".
By victor
We have identified a bug when the shader is created in the Modeler and it is not properly retained in Layout. It has been fixed and will be updated next week. Meanwhile create the shader in Layout and save the object as usual.
By markps
That's why! I create all my shaders in the Modeler... :o) No wonder it wasn't working for me at all. ;o)

Thanks Victor.. I'm anxiously waiting for the update...

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]