Everything related to Maxwell network rendering systems.
Hello,

After installed the Maxwell 3.0.1.3 on Mac OS X 10.9.5 (RLM included), I had to reinstall all the licence on my small farm (4 + 1 imacs).

I launch a test render on all machines and it worked fine until I decided to change some parameters as the SL target. No response at all, but the render continues…

Same happened to have a preview and even to kill nodes or stopping the render… Nothing

I quit the application which the RLM server didn't like too much… Had to reinstall all license again as well as the RLM server…

Could you help me on that please ! Have to produce lots of render fo monday… :^/

Thanks

Laurent
Hi,

I'm really not sure how network rendering can interfere with RLM and why you reinstalled the license......

Did you by any chance install RLM on all your computers? You should install it only on one. For the others in order to license them, you need to choose the third licensing option, not the second. The second is only for the RLM computer.

As far as the network rendering is concerned, have you launched a test render again to see if it works? If not what happens? Please write step by step what you are doing and what happens.
Hi,
thanx for responding ;- )

Actually, I installed all the licence as you explained and i did exactly the same with the previous versions of maxwell (3.0). All was working almost fine, but was working…

It looks like the rlm is very sensitive to the crash of the suite of network programs.

I also notice that the connection between the network render node and network manager was super slow. Osx even indicates for 5 minutes that the program is not responding (usually when you have to force to quit)

To go back to my need, do you have any idea why network monitor is not responding at all (stopping, preview, sl time editing, etc…) ?

Thanx for the reply

L
But I don't understand, now all your nodes are at least properly licensed? All Maxwell installs correctly get their license from your single RLM computer?

If yes, then try running a network render test with all your firewalls turned off, on all machines to rule this out. Then, do a simple network render test, to rule out that your slowness problems doesn't come from the computer running out of RAM. Do a small rez, no ML test render and see if you can preview it normally and so on.
Hello,
As you suggested, I made some tests to check the network. I will explain step by step:
1_re installed the rlm server and re install all the the licence (my computer beeing the hosting the server and the others as slaves)
2_start the nodes on the 4 machines, excepted mine. to allow some processor capacities
3_start a render (simball)

Conclusion: it worked fine, could check the preview, work been saved in folder. So far, so good !

4_lauched heavier picture but nothing complex. They rendered as expected. Did 4 of them
5_added a new render same medium complexities as the others. Nothing happened in the network monitor
6_re added an already rendered image. Same happened, no mentions of my new calculations
7_ quit all rendernodes , network manager and network monitor. Network Monitor would not quit. Had to be forced.
8_restart the network and get the indications on all machines and get an error message on all (except mine, the server):
error getting licence:communication error with licence server
TCP server cannot listen port 45459

9_ try to re install the licence for the nodes and there get errors again:
Licence error
Error validating the licence
The licence file has been correcttlywritten but this system cannot connect to licence manager

10_re install the RLM server, re install the licence and works again…

All the machines are Imac i5 and i7, working under latest OSX without firewall

I also noticed when I launch the network monitor, it takes ages to get in connection with the nodes ( made the this week-end, no one working on the nodes machine)
This was'nt happening with 2.7 version and network

Should I get back to the "official" 3.0.1.0 version !? (working with 3.0.1.3 ?
It seems that license error you are getting, is because in fact the Monitor running on your RLM computer is hanging the entire computer. If you instead simply reboot this computer, what happens? You should not have to relicense Maxwell because RLM is a completely separate application from Network. Network cannot delete the RLM application or corrupt it. Network will also not magically delete your license files, so there is no need to relicense the nodes or your main computer. What it could do however is slow down/ hang your computer it seems, and thus RLM or any other applications won't be able to function correctly, until you reboot the machine.

You mentioned you did 4 renders and everything went fine. Then you added another render. Describe please what rez this render has, if ML is on, basically can you find out how much RAM this render is using in Maxwell while rendering? Don't use network rendering now, just run a standalone render of that scene and check the RAM usage.
Concerning RLM:
Reboot the master but no improvement.

But could re install the licence on nodes without re installing the RLM on master. But on a different port number than before !?!? :?
The strange thing was that I never had licence issue with nodes or maxwell on master machine.

Start the render on stand alone. Res is 2000 x 1150, ML "intensity on", Istats says for studio 1.92 Go . Cannot find the RAM for Maxwell.
lh.clement wrote: Start the render on stand alone. Res is 2000 x 1150, ML "intensity on", Istats says for studio 1.92 Go . Cannot find the RAM for Maxwell.
But did you start the render inside the Studio viewport, or it opened up Maxwell to render? This Istats should also show the RAM for Maxwell in that case. What is the amount of RAM in each of your computers, including the RLM one?
I really don't know what's going on here I'm afraid......I would just try and find out why/when the Monitor hangs. You said that it's only when you added the medium complex scene in step 5 that the Monitor stopped responding, but then you seem to have enough RAM, on all computers. If you run that scene but only in one node, maybe it would start giving you a clue where the problem is.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]