Everything related to Maxwell network rendering systems.
By mgordon320
Hey everybody,

I'm curious is anybody else has come across this issue. Rendering the Standard Material Scene with the default material on Maxwell locally reaches SL21 in 40 minutes. My curiosity is this: When I test the same exact scene without changing settings through Maxwell network, it takes just around 5 hours to reach the same SL. Is there a particular reason I'm getting such a slow turnaround on the network?

Let me know what other information I can provide if need be.

Thanks!

Matt
By Bubbaloo
Are you rendering the scene on the same computer, but through the network monitor? If so, check to see if your CPU usage is pegged at 100%, or if it's using only limited cores. There are priority settings that you can use in the Maxwell network preferences where you can limit the number of threads to use. Maybe you have changed it in the past, but forgot about it?
Sorry it's been a while since I checked this.

All the tests I've run have involved the same computer. If I set test_scene.mxs to render (through Maxwell studio with priority set to normal) it opens in Maxwell and renders to SL 21 in about 40 minutes. However, if I open the network monitor, manager, and node on the same desktop, and have it run the render with the same settings, using the desktop as the render node, it takes about 5 hours.

This may sound like a pointless test, but I decided to do this because running one render split between multiple nodes on my network seemed to render MUCH slower than a single machine rendering locally (not over the network), almost regardless of priority settings.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. I've got multiple computers to be able to render on, and it'd be nice to use them all to get a faster result, not slower :-(

Thanks!

Matt
By naxos
I'm very interested in this subject too, i have 20 dedicated render nodes here, and if what you describe is true, i'd should rather send manually all the PCs with different CPU IDs then merge the results...

I'll try to make some tests here...
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]