Everything related to Maxwell network rendering systems.
By feynman
I'm trying to connect to render nodes (running Remote Desktop to see what's going on on the remote screenless render node PCs) and, although I have excepted Maxwell programs in the Windows 7 Firewall, the nodes don't show up in the Network Manager :O

Fiddling with the Firewall settings, I killed the render node on the remote PCs in the Windows 7 Task Manager, but can't restart them now, because there's one apparently running (see image below). The remote PC is running a ghost render node? On the PC running the manager, I also want to run a render node. The Network Manager insists there is a render node running - but where?

Thanks for advice!
Last edited by feynman on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By feynman
Weird things go on - after waiting over an hour, the remote PC (render node) appears in the Network manager and Monitor; but Task Manager on that machine does not show it 8/
By feynman
Got it to work...

1 Disabled automatic DHCP IP address fetching
2 Provided static IP address outside server IP range but in same subnet
3 Prioritised LAN over WLAN after checking netstat -rn | more
4 Killed all maxwell processes on host and render node PCs
5 Continued as described in knowledge base

...and so far, this works every time without glitch, even when a PC is switched off while rendering. Down from 5 hours to 30 minutes for the same MXS; quite a relief. Maybe I'll try a wee bit of oc next to see how far render times can be brought down. Step 4 seems necessary as simply closing a render node does not kill the process, that's why on all PCs I got the message that a render node is already running although I thought there wasn't.

Now, waiting for the next network render problem :)
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]