Everything related to Maxwell network rendering systems.
By gianca
This morning I decided to stop a render which was calculating for the past 48 hours on 5 nodes.
Maxwell monitor just stopped and erased all temp files: I looked into the temp directories, and there were just gone. I looked into temp directories of the node that run the manager, as well as the node that run the monitor. Nothing.

Luckily I did run a display on the monitor yesterday and I a copied the mxi file generated, so I have a backup of the render @ the SL stage was yesterday in the late afternoon.

This incident made realize few things:
1 I loose 1Kg of weight from the time I realized the tmp file were gone and the time I found a backup. Looks like it could be an easy way too loose weight, too bad for the high blood pressure and the risk of a heart attack. ;)

2 The system of having different nodes working a single image is highly dangerous, and it should be sided with an option to work in tiles instead, which would give a more efficient performance for every long renders. In top of that I found out that running the same render with 2 "blowup" regions run much faster that running the render distributed across different machines with different seeds of SL.
Unfortunately the "blowup" region settings seems to be working only with renders launched with studio, and currently I cold not make them work with either local render or network.
I really wish there should be an option for tile rendering like Vray has.
Some other options I wish would be there would also be something to make the renderings more fail safe: I'm thinking of an option to NOT delete temp files automatically, and NOT calling jobs arbitrarily job1, job2, job3, etc with the risk of another manager/monitor overwriting old jobs. Maybe automatically moving old jobs to another directory, or naming them different than whatever is already is on temp directory, or even better having an option to actually give a specific name the jobs before sending them to the render nodes.

There is also another issue with the Maxwell manager, which I mentioned here:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... 72&t=35339

Gianca
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]