Everything related to Maxwell network rendering systems.
By Asmithey
I have two 8 core machines. I need to render 4 images using 4 cores each. On the machine with Studio installed I have 2 images rendering fine each using 4 cores. But On my render node machine I can not get this to work. I set up the preferences to use 4 cores. But when I launch my second rendering it just states it as pending. Why will it not use the 4 available phyiscal cores to render the second image? When I try to just launch the second rendering with maxwell render it tells me I have exccede my license.

Any way to get this to work.

Aaron
By Asmithey
On my dedicated render node launching them through the network rendering system. It seems that you can not divde up cores using the network rendering system? In ht e monitor it states that the second job is pending when there are available cores.

I have one full license and two node liscences. But at the moment I am only using one node license. Need a copmuter for the other one.
By Gary
Yes, I have recently run into this. I wanted to run a node on my working machine, but leave a few cores unused, available for quick test renders.. Unfortunately I have not found a way to do this.

Gary
By dmeyer
Asmithey wrote:On my dedicated render node launching them through the network rendering system. It seems that you can not divde up cores using the network rendering system? In ht e monitor it states that the second job is pending when there are available cores.

I have one full license and two node liscences. But at the moment I am only using one node license. Need a copmuter for the other one.
If you want to run 2 renders simultaneously on the same machine, you can do so if you do not use the Network Rendering system and simply launch both via command line. Details on the proper command line arguments are in the manual. You can specify threads with -th or just let the OS scheduler worry about it. If you launch with the -node flag each one will consume 1 node license.
By dmeyer
Gary wrote:Yes, I have recently run into this. I wanted to run a node on my working machine, but leave a few cores unused, available for quick test renders.. Unfortunately I have not found a way to do this.

Gary
Gary, this can be done using the -th argument. So if you have 8 cores, launching with -th:6 will leave 2 open.
By Gary
Thanks, I will check it out. Not clear on implementation. I want to launch a network cooperative render. On node one, it should use all 8 cores. On node two it should use 6 cores. Can I designate specific cores per machine with command line?

Gary
By dmeyer
Gary wrote:Thanks, I will check it out. Not clear on implementation. I want to launch a network cooperative render. On node one, it should use all 8 cores. On node two it should use 6 cores. Can I designate specific cores per machine with command line?

Gary
Via command line, yes, however I do not believe you can do per-node arguments using the network render manager. Thus if doing co-op you'd also have to specify a different seed per node and do the merge manually.

Another way around this is to simply make sure the network render is set to super low priority and just let it run. In my experience both Windows 7 and OSX are pretty good at doing the thread scheduling. Even with a render running in the background I can still do reasonably quick test renders.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]