Add here your best high-quality Maxwell images.
By Max
Hello, i have to hijack my previous post because i've been going trough some heavy website restructuring :)

you can check some images i posted here on my new portfolio http://www.massimogalluzzo.it

Since all the links are broken i have edited this post and im gonna just post in here a new project i've worked on for couple of days, i hope you like it, tryin to improve on shading, some little things here and there, and it should be good to go, so far im happy with it.

enjoy!

Modeled and simulated in Softimage, rendered in Maxwell of course.

SL16. 3 hours i7990x 3.2ghz.

Hope you like it!

Max
Last edited by Max on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Mihai
Softimage user....obviously you have impeccable taste in 3D apps :)

If I may offer a critique, you have a great eye for composition and lighting, just a bit more work on the materials will go a long way I think...
By Max
Mihai wrote:Softimage user....obviously you have impeccable taste in 3D apps :)

If I may offer a critique, you have a great eye for composition and lighting, just a bit more work on the materials will go a long way I think...
Thanks Mihai, i have to improve on material realism with imperfections and stuff like that, you are right
By Max
tom wrote:Rocks alone look wonderful.. :) Are they made of procedurals?
Nooo i had to Uv them one by one, there is actually a little bit of uvwrap mistake too :oops:
Thanks for the comments :)
Very nice! It's pretty convincing. If I can critique a few things:

- the cloth is missing some depth to it. Does it use a normal map? From the way the color map looks I'm expecting to see a lot more bumpy surface, especially being so close.
- the red strawberries could maybe use a bit more scattering, seem a bit too glass like but it's difficult to tell since they're out of focus.
- the porcelain plate could use a bit less exposure, especially the left side which is a big blown out area. A tiny bit darker I think would be better, and it should have a bump map.
Thanks Mihai, agreed on the blown out part, gonna try to remove it with multilight,
The cloth is actually displaced with a 4k map, on the photo reference it looks quite the same, im kinda happy with the result on close range.

SSS yeah could definately be better, also this render is saved with just the hdri, i've added in the process a couple more lights that gonna contribute to sss and balance more, i'll see how i can change things once i get to sle 20+ :)

Max
Those raspberries look great, Is it possible to see a wire of the raspberry mesh? I'm wondering if the cell walls are modelled, or if they're individual cells using nested dielectrics?

The chocolate mesh looks a bit fake, is my only critique.
I've tweaked some things, this is the new render:

modified lighting directions to get more realistic SSS.
I kinda like a bit blown out white on the corner, feels more like a photo, but i might want to get rid of that like Mihai said.
eric nixon wrote:Those raspberries look great, Is it possible to see a wire of the raspberry mesh? I'm wondering if the cell walls are modelled, or if they're individual cells using nested dielectrics?

The chocolate mesh looks a bit fake, is my only critique.
here is a wire Eric, they are all spheres modeled and put them together

Eh chocolate is a bit challenging to make it eyecandy perfect, also the more you stare at it the more things you want to change!
i might switch to SSS for the chocolate too and add some displacement to it. Thing is it was simulated and meshed ,so i have to redo it better :)

Thanks,

Max
Thanks for the wire, are those spheres intersecting? that may cause some artifacts, but they're not very noticeable with the renders DOF.

Setting up nested dielectric may be tricky, looks like you'll need at least 7 materials (with varying nd's) carefully applied to neighbouring cells. The problem is that even though it may render more cleanly. it may not look as cool.... ,sometimes artifacts are good.

The chocolate mesh from the sim, looks like it has too much 'thinning', but thats quick to fix, prob no need to resim just remesh.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]