Add here your best high-quality Maxwell images.
By ASyme
Hi guys-

Just bought Maxwell thanks to the awesome recent promotion. Really liking this renderer a lot. Here's my first image I made this week.

Thoughts?

Thanks much. Back to figuring out those materials.

Alec
By Mihai
Obviously no newbie to rendering :) Looks great for a first attempt. Some thinSSS on the plants would look nice, and some variation in the leaf colors. I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts actually....what you think were the most difficult parts to adapt in the thinking, moving from other more "traditional" render engines.
By ASyme
Mihai wrote:Obviously no newbie to rendering :) Looks great for a first attempt. Some thinSSS on the plants would look nice, and some variation in the leaf colors. I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts actually....what you think were the most difficult parts to adapt in the thinking, moving from other more "traditional" render engines.
Your are correct. Certainly no newbie to rendering. I've been doing this since 1992. 20 years! My shop is cinema 4d (beta testers since 1999) and Vray. Do love the Vray. Here's my company www.fuseanimation.com

So, my thoughts are I really like the realism of this renderer. I think i can make the most realistic renders with this. I like the real world attributes. Its just like photography. Unforutunately, photography was never my thing. I sort of get it though, so its coming easily. The materials are something I'm trying to get used to. But it's making sense now after a week.

FIRE is so important. Works well, although, if it was GPU instead of CPU it would be even more real time. How about using both? That would rule.

One thing that blows is crummy Open GL display and crappy texture mapping display. Just like Vray. They should fix this. I hate that.

Another thing, why do I have to login every single time I want to download a texture? Super weird.

Other than these things I'm sold. Love the look of this renderer. It's brilliant. I will use this when I can render overnight every time. Also, Multilight? Seriously? How cool is that? Awesome.

Alec
By Mihai
Thanks for the feedback.
FIRE is so important. Works well, although, if it was GPU instead of CPU it would be even more real time. How about using both? That would rule.
Well in essence that would mean porting the entire engine not just FIRE, since it is really a *version* of the render engine which takes care of calculating easier things first which is also why it's not so good at previewing caustics. In theory both FIRE and production settings will converge to the same result, but for the main render FIRE can actually take longer if any caustics or low roughness materials are in the scene.
One thing that blows is crummy Open GL display and crappy texture mapping display. Just like Vray. They should fix this. I hate that.
You mean in C4D?
Another thing, why do I have to login every single time I want to download a texture? Super weird.
You shouldn't need to do that...do you mean on the website or through the plugin or Studio? You can connect to the gallery directly from the C4D plugin, you just have to enter your login info in MXED (Maxwells standalone material editor). You can find more info here:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/kn ... allery+FAQ
By ASyme

You mean in C4D?

No, I mean the display of texture maps in general. First of all I can't see materials really at all even with OpenGL. Everything is just a shade or color. Secondly, I I need to map something say, cylindrically the map display stays a box. So I have to do a render just to see how something is mapped. Does this make sense? It's a little maddening.

Thanks
Alec
By Mihai
ASyme wrote:One thing that blows is crummy Open GL display and crappy texture mapping display. Just like Vray. They should fix this. I hate that.

You mean in C4D?

No, I mean the display of texture maps in general. First of all I can't see materials really at all even with OpenGL. Everything is just a shade or color. Secondly, I I need to map something say, cylindrically the map display stays a box. So I have to do a render just to see how something is mapped. Does this make sense? It's a little maddening.

Thanks
Alec
But in which application?........ In Maxwell Studio?
By ASyme
Mihai wrote:
ASyme wrote:One thing that blows is crummy Open GL display and crappy texture mapping display. Just like Vray. They should fix this. I hate that.

You mean in C4D?

Thanks
Alec
But in which application?........ In Maxwell Studio?
Oh, sorry, yes Cinema. It's just like Vray. No meaningful way to see the textures in the viewport while working. And no real way to see how things are mapped. It makes is a guessing game while texturing things.

Alec
By rickyinmotion
i see your problem and this the solution
in the shader window after you double clic in the mat tab, under the shader view on the right, clic and you can choose what you want to see in the c4d viewport :)
By ASyme
rickyinmotion wrote:i see your problem and this the solution
in the shader window after you double clic in the mat tab, under the shader view on the right, clic and you can choose what you want to see in the c4d viewport :)
OK, I don't think I'm being clear. Picture is worth a thousand words, right? If you look at this jpeg, this is about as much visual feedback I'm getting in my viewport. For example, it's really hard to map that hardwood floor without being able to see it in the viewport. Test, render, test render, etc. Is there a check box I'm missing?

Thanks
Alec

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4063/capturewqp.jpg
By mashium123
it's that little icon you need to click. there, one can choose which of the used textures should be visible in the c4d-viewport.
you will need to click/choose twice (at least i do). the first click does not change anything. the second one does.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]