Add here your best high-quality Maxwell images.
I like the building and trees; very nice.
I don't like the cutout people, the sidewalks and asphalt materials, the shrubs (too regular) and their ground. And maybe the point of view could be more frontal to have a better and more complete view of the building. This way you get partial shots of the building with a lot of things in the middle, but maybe you wanted that, I don't know.

The overall impression is very good.
Thanks for the critique Fernando.
The cutout people are a client requirement. I agree about the concrete materials, they need more attention. And I got lazy with the shrubs/grasses. I have a big library, and should have used more variety. About the POV, these are actually crops of the full res renders. The big ones show the whole (or most of) the front architecture and parking (another client requirement). I cropped them for the gallery, showing only the interesting parts.
I had some down time so I took the advice and made some changes. I added more plants, worked on the stained concrete, and tweaked some materials. I also added those little rubber barriers that keep in the mulch around the planting areas.

Crop:

Downsized image of the whole view:
Still looks good mostly at the tree line and above.

Bellow the trees things look a little better now, but the pavement is too perfect and too clean. The car paint seems slightly too reflective and/or clean and the material used for the rims (you were going for aluminum I guess) is somehow off or the geometry is too perfect; while the tires are also too clean and show no sign of weight from the vehicles. The rear window on that Subaru should have defogger wires. The curbs are too perfect also; usually they get tire marks and weathering over time.

It is not easy trying to do real life scene renderings; you can no longer get away with pristine materials as you would in product shots. I personally would not even dare a shot like this (I was never that good ;-) ).
Thomas An. wrote:Still looks good mostly at the tree line and above.

Bellow the trees things look a little better now, but the pavement is too perfect and too clean. The car paint seems slightly too reflective and/or clean and the material used for the rims (you were going for aluminum I guess) is somehow off or the geometry is too perfect; while the tires are also too clean and show no sign of weight from the vehicles. The rear window on that Subaru should have defogger wires. The curbs are too perfect also; usually they get tire marks and weathering over time.

It is not easy trying to do real life scene renderings; you can no longer get away with pristine materials as you would in product shots. I personally would not even dare a shot like this (I was never that good ;-) ).
Thanks Thomas. The pavement is so hard to do because there's so much of it. I really should use some kind of painted map instead of the repeating texture. I may try that. The cars... I've tried dirtying up the materials but with limited success. I think I would have to UV Unwrap the bodies to get good painted dirt masks. Probably not going to happen any time soon. That's a comment we get a lot from the architects in the office; the parking lot looks like a new car showroom. It's a good idea about the tire bulge, I could do it with a FFD modifier. I'll definitely put that on my list. Another great idea about the tire marks on the curbs. I'll have to try that. Maybe in Photoshop post render.
eric nixon wrote:Great light, these renders have a charm about them, would be great to see a screenshot of the settings... I guess the location was Tulsa?
Thanks Eric. What settings would you want to see? Environment? I have this HDRI that has great slightly tinted light and casts good shadows that I use for most of our renderings.

The location for this store is Virginia.
Thomas An. wrote:Still looks good mostly at the tree line and above.

I think Tomas wants to see this as it exists in reality. Which means you're going to have to add a few wellfare queens and baby mammas to the lower portion of the image.

I actually like the images as they stand. They give a great sense of the project before all the non tax paying citizens and baby mammas wreck shop at ground level.

anyone condemning the quality of the images obviously hasn't visited a walmart on christmas eve in all hopes of what it could be.
As a matter of fact never could understand why nobody ask for a product shot , let's say, of a wiskey brand set in a dirty kichen with a scracted and dusty bottle of wiskey etc while most of people wants to see a building set in a dirty, disordered and worn out enviroment
They give a great sense of the project before all the non tax paying citizens and baby mammas wreck shop at ground level
It doesn't have to be "twenty years" wrecked. But in this case it yet doesn't pass as a new construction either; the tarp would have been nearly black (grey tarp is old tarp).
Your comments tell me that realism is not a priority for you in which case you are misusing the Maxwell tool (whose intent *is* realism) for an unsuited purpose and make both your project and the Maxwell package look incomplete.

When your priority is merely illustrative, then a sketch or a visualization tool (as Vray) would have sufficed.
Thomas An. wrote:
They give a great sense of the project before all the non tax paying citizens and baby mammas wreck shop at ground level
It doesn't have to be "twenty years" wrecked. But in this case it yet doesn't pass as a new construction either; the tarp would have been nearly black (grey tarp is old tarp).
Your comments tell me that realism is not a priority for you in which case you are misusing the Maxwell tool (whose intent *is* realism) for an unsuited purpose and make both your project and the Maxwell package look incomplete.

When your priority is merely illustrative, then a sketch or a visualization tool (as Vray) would have sufficed.
Thomas, I would argue that Maxwell is just as capable of "illustrating" as Vray is of achieving realism. Just as I would argue that photography (which actually captures reality) is just as capable of illustrating reality in order to meet one's 'visionary' agenda.

To say that a program serves only one specific purpose/function is to imply it exists for the sole purpose of science which adheres to a constant value.

Nearly 200 years ago, you would be implying that the Daguerreotype cannot become a means of expression.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]