By AAA
Ok first tests and already serious issues...

1. Export a scene error - Errors detected in scene creation stage. MXS will not be created....

What are those errors? a clue would be useful

2. Using Architectural shaders results in an export error

- does not have valid surface shader, exported as red diffuse

well thats not good either.... as you lose all the inputs

3. Can't render from XSI

I'll come to materials in awhile....
By Mihnea Balta
AAA wrote: 1. Export a scene error - Errors detected in scene creation stage. MXS will not be created....
Is that the only message present in the log window? Could you share the scene so we can debug?
AAA wrote: 2. Using Architectural shaders results in an export error
- does not have valid surface shader, exported as red diffuse
Only the Lambert, Blinn and Phong shaders are translated to Maxwell approximation at the moment. They are provided as starting points, but you should always use Maxwell materials for Maxwell renders.
AAA wrote: 3. Can't render from XSI
Which version of XSI? Do you get an error? How are you trying to render (Render -> Current Pass?)
By AAA
No other message in log window sorry, just stops and thats it!

Not sure if we can share this file, I'll check. It's rather complex also. Are there limits to the type of mesh you can export.

The problem is no-one uses those basic shaders they are poor! and if using MW shaders then you can't render said scene in Mentalray and the idea would be to have the option of both mentalray and MW for a given job.

XSI 6.1 advanced

I'll spend some more time on this
By Mihnea Balta
There are no imposed limits on the complexity of the exported meshes, but this looks like a bug or a misinterpretation of the data sent by XSI to the plug-in (ok, that's another name for "bug" :) ).

Of course, we'll only use the scene for debugging purposes and we'll delete it once we're done investigating. We can sign NDAs and such if needed.

We can add code to approximate the mental ray architectural materials but it probably won't be a perfect match.

Please check Yog's last post in this thread, maybe you're experiencing the same problem when trying to render.

PS: NURBS don't work at the moment, only polygons and SubD can be exported.
By AAA
Ok thanks for the help

Regards the Arch shaders, it would be very useful if this info was carried over to MW in the same way Phong etc work, for say texture maps and mapping data, that way a scene using said shader could be rendered in XSI and MW without changing shaders, the scene we are working on has over 2500 shaders! so a long process to convert arch to phong just so MW can use the data.

I'll ask about that file.
By AAA
Seems to not like grids!

Removed and all is fine, I'll make more tests
By AAA
Export issue

***If having export issues check grids using Sy Cloth, remove said item and all will work!

Just need Arch shader sorting :-)
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]