By deadalvs
SunlightRocker wrote::)

Hey, I just came to think of one thing. If you get rid of that clumping-thing, can you please keep it as an option, like "polygon-clumping". I think its quite usefull. :)
yeah, thought of that too... but i'll have to rearrange the layout and finally start with a «form-layout». this is the layout command in MEL that lets You adjust every interface element, not just stack them above each other. i already thought of a solution to solve the clumping... math's cool !
By SunlightRocker
Yeah, I know. Programming is fun. I can program Shockwave-games(Lingo programming-language) and its really fun. I really have to get started with .mel to. Soon, I will order a book.. Soon, very soon. :)
By deadalvs
ah, there are great ones around. just ask !

i know some good learning stuff !
By 3dtrialpractice
deadalvs

jsuyt wanted to say looks like your script is great. sorryhavnt been able to try it . .but will come useful in the future.. Ive jsut been slammed on another type of projects non maxwell related all of jan prety much so may not get a chance to get into maxwell again till feb.. so when i got time ill use this script. .got some good ideas of how i could use it.. (besides just for grass)..

question.. how are the "grass" planes oriented .. towards the camera?

or along an axis?

-L
By deadalvs
thes are primarily oriented AS objects along their OWN rotations:
-25 deg to 25 deg randomized
-5 deg to 5 deg randomized
and so on.

but since that might not be good for the position of the camera, an offset in degrees can be entered. which rotates them all additionally, at creation.

like this, with a smal amount of trial and error, for every camera angle, the perfect placing of the grass planes can be found.
By deadalvs
sorry, i have really no time to work on here...

i just did an other small script that i need for modeling, but no chance for this script ... SORRY !

damn... :(
By SunlightRocker
Hi deadalvs.

Did this script use instancing? if not, would it take much time for you to add that? I use this script now and then. Its really great.

// Tobias
By deadalvs
instancing would not take much time, it's just a different flag in the duplication command.

i have rewritten parts of the script from scratch and there would have been many new things, but i don't have time to finish it...

in a few weeks i'll have time to do this, but at the moment, no chance... :(
By deadalvs
hey !

strange...

just tried it on a 8.5 version maya... it worked !

did You get an error message ?
By deadalvs
finally i had a few days to continue this project. it takes a LOT of time to do the scripting of such a beast...

watch here what's waiting:

we know the basics, but now with a lot of new features. [only NURBS part yet, but most basics will be the same, so the poly part will take much less time]

idea: 4 different algorithms:
1[ use numer: enter a number of copies to be created
2[ use cvs: copy a copy to each cv position
3[ use numer per square unit: like 1[, but more intelligent, for example «2 tombstones per square meter». (takes also slope in account !)
4[ use UV grid: create a rectangular grid like shingles, ...

restrictions:
defines if a copy is created if the stipulations are fulfilled
(multiple selections possible)

orientation:
automatically orients the copies based on the options
(only one option of «orient, point, turn» possible, of course)

correctors:
in the end, after a copy is created, the values are randomized a little based on the options

the GUI and most of the needed commands (for example:calculate nurbs surface area, calculate triangle area, calculate normals, get material of face, check Slope of normal, ...) are programmed, but now comes the complex part.

maybe someone can help me.

i have a way to calculate the number of copies, but since every copy is based on a random number there have to be a lot of checks to be done before the actualy copy can be created. so i need a counter and some kind of infinite loop until the number is reached. efficiency is very important !

form of stipulations for a copy: [on a NURBS surface]
((in order of programming efficiency !! there's no reason in checking slope and uv range if the surface has the wrong color !))

1[ surface has the correct material (if option activated)
2[ texture brightness [0 to 1] is in the interval (if option activated)
((restricting the colors to white and using a black texture with only a few white pixels equals an infinite loop and causes the user to write bad posts here....))
3[ uv space is correct (if option activated)
4[ slope is correct (if option activated)

so ...
which could be the basic form of the loops going through these checks ?

any help appreciated...

possibilities:
• copy icicles only on surfaces facing down
• copy moss only on surfaces with the material «tree bark»
• place copies only on places with texture brightness (0 to 1) between 0.6 and 1. (great with noisy images or black-white maps.)
• copy grass blades only on places with slope of max. 36.78 degrees :P
• create fields of grass or forests that automatically face the active camera
• re-orient an array of selected objects to the camera, with re-randomizing the values based on the GUI values

:wink:
By deadalvs
hmmm... no answer yet... :x

well.

i have found a part of the problem.

i run a procedure for each surface in which a while loop is running. but when i end the while loop with the «break;» command, the whole procedure is stopped and not only the while loop... WHY ??

any help ?
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]